Zip Packaging as default for UAK/Engine

reepblue

I've grown to love the ease of being able to read things in a zip file and easily extract them. I was shocked to see that the Package class lacks members/options from its Leadwerks predecessor. Unless I were to go learn zip libraries myself, I'm forced to include Leadwerks just so I can read my game packages. 

Would it be possible to convert the Leadwerks Zip code to a Ultra plugin? 

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

Yes, the package system is designed to work with many package formats, and ZIP is just another plugin. It's a little tricky because I am also trying to make a system that will support weird formats like Quake Paks, WAD, and Valve's VPK. Optimal access time is very important. The biggest game I can find is Black Mesa (30,000 files), and I'm able to browse through its contents very quickly. There are some questions about the final plugin API for these.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I think what I think is missing is being able to search and extract the data. I think I more or less asking is a way to open packages and being able to read, and or extract files out to the disk. I might just be asking for a simple ZIP reader because I'm using the entire Leadwerks API just for that for something small.

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

The packages are meant to work in that way. So you load the package and then when you call ReadFile() it will automatically pull from the packages if no file is available on disk.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually thinking Google's Snappy might be better for games:
https://github.com/google/snappy

Most file types can actually be stored in an archive uncompressed, because the biggest files tend to already use an efficient compression technique for that type of data, like OGG, BC7, and Draco, and they don't benefit much from an additional layer of compression.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...