changing maps

wildcherrii

In my code, I'm trying to go from one map to another map ( zones ).  I have it setup as so

local mapfile = System:GetProperty("map","Maps/"..fname ..".map")
if Map:Load(mapfile)==false then emsg("error, no map file") ; return end

Where fname is a variable passed to my MapLoad function.

No matter what I try I continue to load the same map over and over. It always seems to be the same map thats loaded in the editor. 

My question is, is it possible to change maps from code once you start an initial map in the editor.  

My project loads map1.map  then  if I hit f12 in code it should load map2.map,  but it keeps loading back to map1.map.

Debugmode is of little use,  all I get is the screen closes down, no way to even see where this error is occuring.
Some where in the Map:Load()  the entire process bottoms out, I get no errors, I get no warnings, just a closed window. This happens in debug and normal mode.

Thats pretty much impossible to  to try and fix  not even know where to look at.

The bottom of the editor screen I see this :

Debug process connected.
Error: Unknown client disconnected.

Please some adivce on this, its got me worried.

It seems creating or instacing or copying a prefabbed emitter inside a Start() script of an entity causes everything to shut the hell down on loading a new map up.

self.dust  = tolua.cast(emitcache.dust:Instance(),"Emitter")

If I comment this line out the map change goes through.  I guess Im just not suppose to have particles in my project. 2 months solid trying different routes to get them 100% working and always a failure. 

System:GetProperty() is a fetch function to obtain a command parameter that's passed through when the application starts. The editor launches with your app +map "Maps/<path_to_map>" every time you press the play button. You only want to use System:GetProperty() on the first load.

With traditional loading (ie: Clear the map and load a new map), you would clear the world with a loop for safe results. Don't take this presto code for granted as my Lua coding is rusty.

local currentmap

-- Call me in the app loop
function WorldLoop()
  if newmapname ~- nil then
    Time:Pause()
  	world:Clear()
	Map:Load("Maps/"..newmapname..".map")
    Time:Resume()
    newmapname = nil
  end
end

function ChangeLevel(mapname)
  newmapname = mapname
end

-- Example function
function ChangeToLevel2()
	local lvl2 = level2map
  	ChangeLevel(lvl2)
end

For your streaming chances, you're better off loading sections as prefabs. Prefabs are derived from the entity class so you should be able to use the Show and Hide Commands. I haven't touched this but you don't call Map:Load() again. You would think it would just dump all the data in the world but it seems to mess up the buffer and everything will pop up as brighter. 

On 4/14/2022 at 11:34 PM, wildcherrii said:

It seems creating or instacing or copying a prefabbed emitter inside a Start() script of an entity causes everything to shut the hell down on loading a new map up.

self.dust  = tolua.cast(emitcache.dust:Instance(),"Emitter")

If I comment this line out the map change goes through.  I guess Im just not suppose to have particles in my project. 2 months solid trying different routes to get them 100% working and always a failure. 

Can't be sure without looking at the rest of your code but you would create the "main" particle in the start function and then create the instance when you need it at an event. It could be possible that your emit cache class is getting loaded after your script making that call. 

Hope this helps.

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!