What is considered real?

Yue

These days I saw the PS5 trailer for The Matrix. And I'm left with a question: what do we consider real? The following image is a preset of a graphic mod called NBE Series for GTA V.

What do you think about this, where do you think technology is going? 

image.thumb.png.e4314742d44954fe938c2a0d455273cc.png

• Upvote 1

I think RAGE is a bit old for making it look real, also, i'we been analysing the system of the gta 5 ai, mostly because i want to recreate Euphoria, wich is used by Gta 5. So basically, they didnt use any complex materials, because it would take too much data for a game, so they mostly used base color textures, and because the city was modelled in (around) 2013, the models arent high quality. For me Source engine looks real (notedly the LEft4Dead branch), here is why: they used Ray Tracing (baked) wich can make any game look realistic, also they added a noise shader to the shadows wich (i think looks very real) looks like how i see in the dark, also they give the characters expressions with shapekeys, and the physics: Havok does it well. Also the animations should look real, even if your model is poor the animation can make it look real, here is an example: 

• Like 1

I'm afraid "games" will not more be really games but goods big companies are intended to sell with high graphics next gen's and NFT's and ingame shops with tons of skins and and and. All of that could be bugs in the future leaving an empty place between indies (good ideas, no money) and the AAA big games industry (much money but no ideas)

Games as a piece of construction that is build from developpers to give fun with love for details and trying to give the best gameplay they ever made, well that I'm afraid will become a rarity.

• Like 1

What I think is that the new graphics technology is not viable from a commercial point of view for traditional video games, not everyone has enough money for a PS5 or a RTX graphics, so the new generation of graphics will be of closed use for a very limited niche market and exclusive to one or another AAA game. What I perceive is that initially in a course of a few years this technology would be focused for cinema. Movies where they do hours of rendering will already be done in real time and the industry will have young actors and special effects. Otherwise I think we will continue in this generation with the PS4 and graphics cards accessible to everyone.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)