UAK: Issues with the scrollbar

Noridge

Go to solution Solved by Josh,

I've noticed some issues with the scrollbar of textareas. For better understanding I recorded everything and attached it as gif.

If its important: the textareas content is a textfile's content, extraced using ReadFile(path)->ReadString().

Please note that the part of "what happens when scrollbar is clicked above the thumb" is demonstrated in the part hat shows what happens if the arrow-buttons at the scrollbar's edges are clicked - my bad.

uak_scrollbar.gif.40dafe9ca6647c0489f7d6bacd011247.gif

• 9 months later...
On 10/30/2021 at 11:33 AM, Josh said:

I'm doing a lot of UI work and am planning an update for this and some scaling issues, plus a few small additional features.

Well, sorry to bring this old thread back from the dead, but….. when are you going to release that update? 😅

I'm working on the new installer now and the first release of the full engine will be out in a few weeks. It includes all the functionality of UAK, and the executables are just a little bigger. If you use UPX they compress to 6 MB, and don't require DLLs for app that don't use those features.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I think it's better for everyone to have just one product. It's not feasible for me to keep up with updates otherwise. Sales of UAK on Steam were almost nothing and it showed me that Steam can no longer be relied on.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

The other approach I was considering was to split the product up a bunch of different ways, by language, by feature set. I had about 12 different products in mind, in order to occupy shelf space on Steam, with the idea that their sum sales would make up for Steam's poor visibility. UAK was an experiment to see if that would work, and based on the results I saw I decided to go with the subscription model on our own site instead of Steam.

9 hours ago, Josh said:

I think it's better for everyone to have just one product. It's not feasible for me to keep up with updates otherwise. Sales of UAK on Steam were almost nothing and it showed me that Steam can no longer be relied on.

I think otherwise, as those products don’t necessarily target the same user groups. In my case I’m currently more interested in application development rather than game development -> UAK was (and still is) marketed as library for just that. I don’t see a valid reasoning to rent another software to have access to a feature I already paid for.

While I get your point that it’s a burden to keep a non-profitable product updated, it should at least get the updates and fixes you implement while working on Ultra Engine anyway. This way people who are more into application development can happily continue working without the need to swap the UI lib - which in UAK’s current state would be necessary.

7 hours ago, Josh said:

I can also give you the code for the scrollbar, but I need to make sure the issue was fixed first...

While that’s a nice offering of yours, I’m not the only one affected. And the scrollbar-issue is not the only problem. There were the cut-off labels of menu-items, tabbers etc. or the recently discovered issue with the caret not updating its position (just to name what comes to my mind right now).

9 hours ago, Josh said:

The other approach I was considering was to split the product up a bunch of different ways, by language, by feature set. I had about 12 different products in mind, in order to occupy shelf space on Steam, with the idea that their sum sales would make up for Steam's poor visibility. UAK was an experiment to see if that would work, and based on the results I saw I decided to go with the subscription model on our own site instead of Steam.

How you are going to monetize Ultra Engine is (in my opinion) not of relevance in this case, as UAK is a separate product (that’s still on sale). Of course the information you gathered is of high value for the marketing of future products, but having sold this as stand alone library kind of demands at least basic maintenance.

Otherwise, to be honest, is this just yet another advertisement for free and open source software - just like “The Machinery” some days ago.

On 8/10/2022 at 8:36 AM, Josh said:

I'm working on the new installer now and the first release of the full engine will be out in a few weeks. It includes all the functionality of UAK, and the executables are just a little bigger. If you use UPX they compress to 6 MB, and don't require DLLs for app that don't use those features.

But, will the standalone UAK sdk contain the update?

I would like to see UAK remain as a standalone product primarily for the users who have already bought it.  I think once you buy a software your entitled to have all bugs fixed.  Couldn't you move it to your site and sell it there?  It would be a good one time buy product  - want 3D?  Rent UltraEngine. :)

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...
On 10/30/2021 at 12:33 AM, Noridge said:

The attached main.cpp generates a simple window with a textarea and some blind text. The issue with scrollbar is present here as well.

main.cpp 2.09 kB · 1 download

I tried this and it seems to work perfectly in Ultra Engine 1.0.2.