newline in text for labels

RonShortt

My program is working fine in Windows when I use '\n' in a c++ string to get a newline in the text of a label. I have now compiled it on Linux and the newline character is displayed as a character block as if the character cannot be displayed. Is there a way to get Linux to execute the same way as Windows. Here is sample code (a slightly modified version of the label sample code)?

#include "UltraEngine.h"

using namespace UltraEngine;

int main(int argc, const char* argv[])
{
    //Get the displays
    auto displays = GetDisplays();

//Create a window
    auto window = CreateWindow("Ultra Engine", 0, 0, 800, 600, displays[0]);

//Create User Interface
    auto ui = CreateInterface(window);

//Create widget
    auto label1 = CreateLabel("Label", 20, 20, 120, 30, ui->root);
    auto label2 = CreateLabel("Border\nLabel", 20, 50, 120, 60, ui->root, LABEL_BORDER | LABEL_CENTER | LABEL_MIDDLE);

while (window->Closed() == false)
    {
        WaitEvent();
    }
    return 0;
}

3 hours ago, Roland said:

Have you tested  std::endl

https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/io/manip/endl

Unfortunately std::endl operates on the output I/O system rather than providing a newline character. According to the link you provided:

Inserts a newline character into the output sequence os and flushes it as if by calling os.put(os.widen('\n')) followed by os.flush().

This is an output-only I/O manipulator, it may be called with an expression such as out << std::endl for any out of type std::basic_ostream.

• Like 1

I have used GetText to retrieve the text after it is (improperly) displayed and printed it via cout and the newline in the returned string works as expected. The issue seems to be that the Linux library is not dealing with the newline in the same (proper) manner as the Windows library.

• Like 1

So I dug out my 30 year old copy of Introduction to the X Window System (Updated for XVIIR4) and started reading. In the section on fonts it says:

If there is any special action to be taken for control characters, the application must be programmed to take it explicitly.

That would indicate that either Ultra App Kit or my program must deal with the newline character as the X Window system simply treats it as just another (unprintable) character.

• Haha 1

In your usage you describe I would definitely use the TextArea widget. It will display scroll bars when the text becomes bigger than the area of the widget.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.