How to add an executable icon in the desktop sidebar?

Josh

How in the world do you add a icon your application displays in the Gnome side bar in Ubuntu and other distros? I tried creating a file called UltraEngine.desktop with the contents below, but it had no effect:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=UltraEngine
Comment=
Exec=./UltraEngine
Path=.
Terminal=true
Icon=./icon.png

268291447_Screenshotfrom2021-07-1417-47-08.thumb.jpg.f93ee58e6dbdee77a26dc482c8f57ac2.jpg

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Are you putting it in the right directory?

Place this file in the /usr/share/applications directory so that it is accessible by everyone, or in ~/.local/share/applications if you only wish to make it accessible to a single user. Which is used should depend on whether your application is installed systemwide or into a user's home directory. GNOME monitors these directories for changes, so simply copying the file to the right location is enough to register it with the desktop. 1

Desktop files: putting your application in the desktop menus (gnome.org)

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

Okay, there is already a file there called "Ultra App Kit.desktop" that Steam must have created:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Ultra App Kit
Comment=Play this game on Steam
Exec=steam steam://rungameid/1512210
Icon=steam_icon_1512210
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Game;

But there is no icon and the tooltip says "Unknown" when I hover over the icon in the sidebar.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Following the instructions here, I changed the icon value and moved the image into ~/.local/share/icons, but it still doesn't appear:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Ultra App Kit
Comment=Play this game on Steam
Exec=steam steam://rungameid/1512210
Icon=UltraEngine
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Game;

I also discovered Steam has already placed a bunch of icon files in there, but they are not being loaded!

Oh well, I give up on this junk...