Application ignores working directory

Josh

It appears Mac applications are ignoring the current working directory set by Xcode, and do not even start in their own directory. Instead it always starts in some weird /..../libraries/blahblahblah/ folder.

Very simple Xcode project here demonstrates the problem:
testproject.zip

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

If I change the current directory using either NSFileManager:changeCurrentDirectoryPath or _wchdir, both functions succeed, but a following call to get the current directory fails. If getcwd is used, it produces errno 1 (operation not permitted), and NFFileManager.currentDicrectoryPath is equal to nil.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I think the only way I can make this work is by copying all the project files into the application bundle like Apple wants. I don't think there is any other way with the restrictions they have added in recent versions of macOS. See the link above for more detail.

This means ALL files in Materials, Models, Sound, etc. will get embedded in your Mac builds, not just the files your project uses.

Update is available now on Steam that has all this working now. It's a little different than how things worked previously but it is more compatible with the Mac App Store.

At the same time, VSCode is able to access all files everywhere, even if I remove permissions in the system settings.

There's no rhyme or reason to it.