Leadwerks 5, next gen ?

khotan

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for bumping a dead thread, but this looks like this might be the best place to ask this. I'm having trouble finding definite info on Leadwerks 5/Ultra Engine, is my understanding correct that Ultra Engine will actually be a separate product from Leadwerks 4 and will NOT be included as a free update? Or is "Ultra Engine" just a rebranding? Fingers crossed for the latter, but it'd be just my luck if I bought the professional edition of an engine that's about to be obsolete.

Ultra Engine is a new engine with a slightly different focus and emphasis from Leadwerks. Ultra Engine is built for performance for VR. I think it is easier in some ways to use than Leadwerks, but ease of use for beginners is not the primary goal.

However, it will still be some time before it is released. It's being rolled out in stages, with Ultra App Kit being the first stage, then perhaps "Ultra 2D Kit" with 2D Vulkan graphics and physics, then "Ultra Engine SDK" which is just the programmable 3D API, and finally "Ultra Engine" with the full editor.

None of this is set in stone, but that is the plan I am working with now.

• Like 3

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.