Solo Warrior

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

It's LE2 right now. I don't wish to port it just yet as the base game isn't finished yet. I only have a couple more things to do until all the basic rules of the game are completed, and at that point I will port it to LE3 so that I can release the game on as many platforms as possible. After the basic rules are done all (as if it's not much lol) that's remaining is filling in the rest of the levels and characters (and boss fights).

The GUI system is my own. It's XML driven (originally sqlite but LE3 doesn't have support for sqlite and so I didn't want to go in that direction for fear of running into problems on mobile later on) and every widget can be nested with any other widgets (you see that with the buttons that have icons on them, and the scroll that has widgets on them).

Every widget's location & size is defined as a % of it's parent so that it scales. The XML file also stores tags for each aspect ratio that I want to support and at run-time it finds that screens aspect ratio and uses that tags section(since this will be on mobile, there are so many) so that I can tweak the size and positioning on different aspect ratios (because the same % of a widget's position & size on 1 aspect ratio will look funny on another aspect ratio). I also allow reloading in real-time. So what I do to get just the right setup, is to change the info in the xml file, reload the UI on the running game with a button press, see if I like the result, rinse and repeat until I get it just right. I would love to formalize this at some time with an editor, but for now my mission is getting this thing released.

I don't look forward to defining the UI for every possible aspect ratio as it's a boring and tedious job but as far as I can tell to get a nice looking GUI that's what you would have to do. I feel like that might be something that gets overlooked. DA works out well so far because it's been shown on, from that I can tell, the same aspect ratio (and it's UI light). If Josh was to put that on a device (phone most likely) that has a "strange" aspect ratio the health bar I think will look funky.

would nto it be more easy working with some % ?

like some button GUI would be :

width = screen.Width/20

height = screen.Height /15

Well for GUI, i think it's the best way to work in some relative way as tablets, mobile are wide in aspect ratio.

I should ask some mobile devs how they do for their games ?

Stop toying and make games

would nto it be more easy working with some %

That's just what my post said. smile.png

Every widget's location & size is defined as a % of it's parent so that it scales.

If the parent is NULL then the screen res is used. If the parent isn't NULL then the parents x/y & width/height are used so that everything is relative.

Anyway, I wish to keep this post somewhat clean and about Solo Warrior so I'll kindly ask not to derail it that much. Thank you.

I'm not ready for that yet. I don't want to worry about managing these "social" things yet. I want to focus on the game 100% at this time. I'm in the zone and want to stay that way. That other stuff is a distraction.