house model?

cassius

I am starting to model a tudor style house with wooden beams on the outer walls using 3dws.

My question is should I use a texture for the wooden beams or model them.As far as I know you cannot stretch textures in 3dws.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

Thanks folks. I have got it underway using modeling. Having trouble at the moment with textures bleeding into each other around windows and doorways.I used the slice tool to cut out the roof and roof slates.

I dont think you can beat actually having geometry for the beamwork, but as you can imagine, medieval houses feature lots of these!. What i do, if the actual half timbre design isnt too complicated is to use geometry for these wooden features, but also if they follow the same design as the texture underneath, then have them as a separate group for LOD purposes - you can have them show when close, but hide them from a distance.

For buildings that feature intricate half timbre design, i use a combination of geom and just texture feature.

Good luck with your design.

I did actually make a video tutorial one time for 3dws on how to make a house. I should put it back on the website.

Steve

Yes Metartron yes! There wou;d have been loads of fleas too in medieval times. Hence the plague

Anyone modelled a flea yet?rolleyes.gif

EDIT: The house texture looks too pristine. Is there any way of dirtying it up a bit in gimp or photoshop?