Any news on new leadwerks engine?

Andy Gilbert

This thread reads like the digital equivalent of queuing for days outside a shop to be the first to get your hands on a new iPhone5, the difference being the release date is no more than speculation in this case :D

At least it can't rain on you guys whilst it's still summer ... can it? ;)

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

There has never been official support for several languages that LE2 has been used with but it's never stopped people from using it. I guess there must always be a limit to the number of languages officially supported.

Personally, I have enough ongoing work with LE2 to keep me going for the year or two it's probably going to take to get the fully featured LE3 released and all the bugs ironed out. However, I can understand other peoples excitement and look forward to it's initial release non the less.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

So as far as I can see, Lua will work on all targets. That's fine. :)

Josh, how do you handle that e,g, for iOS? Do you compile the Lua script to Objective-C code?

My team mate really pushes me on that topic, lol. He recommends Unity3d but I always loved Leadwerks for its simple but powerful design...

Triassic Games

So as far as I can see, Lua will work on all targets. That's fine. smile.png

Josh, how do you handle that e,g, for iOS? Do you compile the Lua script to Objective-C code?

My team mate really pushes me on that topic, lol. He recommends Unity3d but I always loved Leadwerks for its simple but powerful design...

iOS runs Lua just fine. In fact, there are a couple of Lua script editors for iPad in the App Store. We use a JIT compiler to make Lua script execution fast.

Now that I can see Leadwerks 3 nearly finished, the art pipeline and development process runs circles around Unity, IMO. They deserve credit for making the first entirely visual art pipeline, but we are making the first well-designed visual art pipeline.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

That sounds fantastic. But now as it's "nearly finished" you should be able to tell a release date, shouldn't you? wink.png

I mean, are we talking about days, weeks or months? THANKS!

It's hard to say. I've never released a product with this much support and polish, so it's hard to me to estimate. In the past, we tried to just get something that was simple and functional out, and this software does a lot more for you, so it takes longer.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I don't know what Columbus day is. I will check with google.

What kind of modelling will be possible with le3. Will it be like 3dws or will we be able to model small objects like chairs vases bottles etc?

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

What kind of modelling will be possible with le3. Will it be like 3dws or will we be able to model small objects like chairs vases bottles etc?

The built-in level design tools are like 3D World Studio, with a few extra features like smooth groups. You can still use Blender and 3ds max for small objects and decorations.

It's hard to say. I've never released a product with this much support and polish, so it's hard to me to estimate. In the past, we tried to just get something that was simple and functional out, and this software does a lot more for you, so it takes longer.

Thanks I see. So it sounds more like weeks or months to me than days. Is a release likely this year? I really appreciate your efforts as I think you're onto something really great here...

Triassic Games

I still think we will be needing lots of models, CSG is more used as a tool for blocking rather then finished level design.

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 gigs ram, 3.30GHz Quad Core, GeForce GTX 460 one gig, Leadwerks 2.5, Blender 2.62, Photoshop CS3, UU3D

So this may have been discussed already but i didn't see it. I thought i saw somewhere that the beta was already released to developers, although i could have misread that post. Is a date available for the current owners of LE2, and will this beta be available on Mac's snow leopard?

bool Life()
{
 while(death=false)
 {
   if(death==true)
   return death;
 }
}

I have found the secret to infinite life

Did I help you out? Like my post!