Improved water, fixing refraction and invisible waterlines

shadmar

Hi

First thing i noticed about the water in LE is that the waterline is next to invisible and refraction was not there at all making it look kind of invisble at shallow waters.

I'm an old HLSL guy from 3impact/Rad/OddityEngine so I thought I'd take a crack at the opengl shaders in LE.

Here is a shot when refraction is fixed (based on wave height) and the invisble water when very shallow.

LE_water2.jpg

LE_water1.jpg

• Upvote 3

HP Omen - 16GB - i7 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

Not sure fixed would be the correct word, I think it looks more natural when the waterplane refracts the lakefloor and moves dynamicly with the waves. I thought might be a bug in the shader, but I'm not the one to answer that.

The original water shader only look transparent and doesn't refract at all.

EdIt: and yes I still working on it.. :)

Added some more viscosity feel, foamish shoreline when waves are bigger and normal shadowing both on reflection and refraction.

I will also try real waves in the vertex shader Gerstner or just some sin waves. (have no idea how that will go, so don't excpect anything smile.png )

LE_water3.jpg

LE_water4.jpg

LE_water5.jpg

Thanks, I will uploaded it to the asset store for free, it's only small changes in the water.frag and one extra normalmap.

Added colortoning to the refraction, so you can basicly have any color to all the water. Clamped selfshadow to a maximum if waveamp is very high.

Here is a couple of indoor shots from the tunnels :

LE_water6.jpg

LE_water7.jpg

• Upvote 1

Nice work, shadmar! Thanks, man. smile.png

ZBrush 4R7 64-bit - 3DCoat 4.5 BETA 12 - Fl Studio 12 64Bit - LE 3.2 Indie version - Truespace 7 - Blender 2.71 - iClone 5.51 Pro - iClone 3DXChange 5.51 pipeline - Kontakt 5 - Bryce 7 - UU3D Pro - Substance Designer/Painter - Shadermap 3 - PaintShop Photo Pro X7 - Hexagon - Audacity - Gimp 2.8 - Vue 2015 - Reaktor 5 - Guitar Rig 5 - Bitmap2Material 3

I will also try real waves in the vertex shader Gerstner or just some sin waves. (have no idea how that will go, so don't excpect anything smile.png )

isnt the water currently just a plane? so the vertex shader won't do much..

and why does the shore look so green/blueish ?