Leadwerks vs Xors3D

nakof

it would probably help if you gave some background eg what programs you've used in the past. What type of game are you looking to make. What programming language do you intend to use?

intel i5 2500k, ram 16gb, nvidia Geforce GTX570, asus xonar sound card. Windows 7 64 bit

From what I can see, it does not come with a scene editor, and the community is not as big as Leadwerks.

That being said, from some of the screenshots, it looks pretty nice.

But it seems more like a library then a game engine, Leadwerks is not a game engine like Unity, it is still more like a library, but it includes stuff like a level editor, model viewer, material editor...

You can get both engines as a trial, so download them and spend a couple days with each engine. I have found many engines that look great feature-wise, but when you use it you think "i can't make a game with this, the tools are ****."

Benton

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 gigs ram, 3.30GHz Quad Core, GeForce GTX 460 one gig, Leadwerks 2.5, Blender 2.62, Photoshop CS3, UU3D

Does Leadwerks not have networking already? I have seen the API docs...http://www.leadwerks.com/wiki/index.php?title=Networking

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 gigs ram, 3.30GHz Quad Core, GeForce GTX 460 one gig, Leadwerks 2.5, Blender 2.62, Photoshop CS3, UU3D

It seems that xors 3d started out as extension to blitz3d but is now independent. Its a dll that can be used by blitmax c+= or blitz3d and with a similar api to blitz.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

Does Leadwerks not have networking already? I have seen the API docs...http://www.leadwerks.com/wiki/index.php?title=Networking

Yes it does but I wouldn't bother using the current networking stuff in it. LE3D should have it a bit better.

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

It seems that xors 3d started out as extension to blitz3d but is now independent. Its a dll that can be used by blitmax c+= or blitz3d and with a similar api to blitz.

so the documentation is not needed. documentation was the same as Blitz3d

From what I can see, it does not come with a scene editor, and the community is not as big as Leadwerks.

That being said, from some of the screenshots, it looks pretty nice.

But it seems more like a library then a game engine, Leadwerks is not a game engine like Unity, it is still more like a library, but it includes stuff like a level editor, model viewer, material editor...

You can get both engines as a trial, so download them and spend a couple days with each engine. I have found many engines that look great feature-wise, but when you use it you think "i can't make a game with this, the tools are ****."

Benton

level editor, model viewer, material editor...I do not need it.I my self will do the tools for the ir games.

...differencies you should consider are fact that Xors3D is DX9 based system, LE is OpenGL based system (SM3 and up)...second thing is that, if you are okay with DX9, then you have to investigate whats going on with development, because, rumor is that development is, so to speak, stalled, because 2 developers of system left, and only one guy is in development pipeline, so im not sure about its future, if rumors are true..i have had experience with Xors (i have it too, among dozen amount of other systems), and far as my memory serves me, developers were really nice fellas, but im not sure what is going on right now..I hope they will keep moving..

I was worked with Xors3D some time. Leadwers is much handy to work with shaders. Lights system in Leadwerks is much easier to use.

Best things in Xors - is possibility to make games for very old PC, with forward rendering and vertex attenuation. Real FSAA.

In Xors3D you can use BMP,TGA,PNG,JPG as textures without conversation it to DDS as it in Leadwerks done. In this place Xors3d better.

Language is very similar (b3d based).

"Better" is big enemy of "good"

Thank you all! most likely I will choose Xors3d.

Select careful. Xors3D still doesn't have good shadow system. It shadows are deferred, so it impossible to use with FSAA (will be artefacts at edges). At the end you probaly will inable shadows in, it and disable FSAA. And you will get same render picture as Leadwerks, but - all shaders you will need to write yourself for it. There are couple examples in SDK, but most thing you will need to write yourself.

Leadwerks have ready to use shaders. And here it rocks.

"Better" is big enemy of "good"

Make a careful evaluation of the pros and cons of each and choose what's right for you, there is no better advice. It's pointless any of us saying 'Use Leadwerks' if it's not right for you. Good luck, I hope you chose wisely.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

I think the quality/price ratio tells you quite exactly which engine is the best for you. There are free engines, cheap engines, indie priced engines, expensive engines. You get what you pay for! And Leadwerks is the chepeast of those which have all features to make decent games. Especially with Leadwerks3D Android support it will be the best engine for Android.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■