Tutorial: A* pathfinding with C#

AggrorJorn

Allways wondered how to create pathfinding for your game? Check out this in depth tutorial about the A* pathfinding in Leadwerks using LE.NET.

This tutorial covers all points of setting up a basic program using the A* algorithm. The tutorial uses LE.NET and Visual Studio 2010.

This tutorial covers:

• Pathfinding in general
  • Dijkstra algorithm
  • Setting up a grid with tiles
  • A* algorithm
  • Getting the path
  • How to improve

Download Available!

• Start project
  • Finished project
  • Powerpoint used in the video

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/files/file/321-a-star-a-pathfinding/

post-45-0-04704600-1329050417_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

Excellent introduction to A Star path finding Aggror. Although you mention it I have to emphasis the importance of using the diagonals too, to get not only a shorter but a more realistic path, but this serves as a good introduction to the subject for anyone coming to this for the first time.

Path smoothing techniques can then be introduced to smooth out the direction changes and make the paths (movement) look a little more natural and less mechanical.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Thanks everyone.

Excellent introduction to A Star path finding Aggror. Although you mention it I have to emphasis the importance of using the diagonals too, to get not only a shorter but a more realistic path, but this serves as a good introduction to the subject for anyone coming to this for the first time.

Yes it is very important. I want to make a tutorial with the A* and a terrain created in Leadwerks. From there on I will add the diagonal heuristic and even a special heuristic for different terrein height. After that I will make some characters walk with steering behaviour. Should be a nice tutorial I think.