Visual joints editing

Wchris

I find it very difficult to setup joints (except fixed that are easy)

It would be very cool to have a button to switch the editor in "joint editing" mode.

In this mode we would be able to drag & drop joints kinds to the editor, then place/rotate and pin them to bodies visually.

And test/set their rotations limits.

this data would be saved to the sbx file.

it would also be usefull to Josh to easily test physics for LE3.

More people would setup complex machinery with this tool.

Cheers

chris

Windows 7 home - 32 bits

Intel Quad Q6600 - nVidia GTX 460 1GB - 2 GB RAM

You seem to think i nsome visual physic editor !

With LE3 open system, perhasp some of us will make such plugin ... We will see when LE3 will be available if we cab do it !

Not necessary to Josh to make all visual tools could it be Physics , addons or helpers for world editor etc ... he has enought work t od owith the engine and mobile now :)

Stop toying and make games

You seem to think i nsome visual physic editor !

With LE3 open system, perhasp some of us will make such plugin ... We will see when LE3 will be available if we cab do it !

Not necessary to Josh to make all visual tools could it be Physics , addons or helpers for world editor etc ... he has enought work t od owith the engine and mobile now ;)

This section of the forum is an "idea box" where Josh can pickup. If the only idea we are allowed to submit is "we want le3 now" that the whole section is useless.

I agree there are many people out there that could write the tool ... but from Josh "sales" point of view it's better to show a product with integrated features other engines do not have, than a patchwork of non standard external tools that confuse the workflow.

Of course, he has to measure the "time cost" versus "feature visibility & attraction". But only Josh can do this not us, we are not allowed to decide for him, only suggest.

Cheers :)

Chris

PS: I also want LE3 :)

Windows 7 home - 32 bits

Intel Quad Q6600 - nVidia GTX 460 1GB - 2 GB RAM

• 2 weeks later...

yep... exact same command i asked for as well for LE2... a month and a half ago: http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/3135-physics-library/page__view__findpost__p__36584

and the reply was:

As far as visualizing joints, that's not something I need the physics lib to support, I just add it myself. PhysX might have some built-in helper function for that, but honestly we're talking like one hour's work to set it up for all joints.

so maybe something will be done in LE3...

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

There's a big difference in implementing a new feature in a new design, and adding it to an established program.

fair enough... but its not like LE2 doesn't get a new feature almost every update anyways... but i am resigned to the fact that only LE3 will get attention from here on out. So in any case, +1 for a way to visually see joints/pins between two objects even if its only in LE3. an actual joint editor would be interesting to see, but at the very least DebugJoints() would allow people to be able to troubleshoot issues.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

Also I know this has been asked a 10000 times but..

considering LE3D is going to be using Newton Physics as well.

can we pretty please have stiff joints as well XD (not the old person type of stiff joints)

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!