My suggestions that may alredy have been said.

Andy Gilbert

I recently read how LE3 will be much more supported by scripts using lua which i think is excellent, and whilst that was my ultimate suggestion it sounds like it may have alredy been done. And although big games or any games should be in C++ for best performance or standard, not alot of game designer wannabies know C++ and find it very hard to pick up and i would hazard a guess that most people who come across to leadwerks have dabbled in programming, know what it is or can program and want to design games with an easier tool set so for alot (if not most) who see its nativly C++ will be put alot off, whilst for some it will be what they want.

On this subject though, as currently with LE2 there is one script per intity type, not per object, so to have 2 of the same objects have different scripts, i need to make 2 of the same objects. Unity and gamestart and others allow you to write any script and just drag and drop onto any object (or entity), will this be possible in LE3?

The other big feature i would like is custom brushes for terrain editing, this makes life alot easier and gives so much more control over the editing, again gamestart3d's editor has nice terrain editing tools.

The only other thing i see in other editors and like is the "one button publising", it is nice to design in editor and then at a push of a button it organises everything together and puts them where you want them ready to distribute.

Im sure there is many more, but thats it for now without goin over what others have said, sounds like LE3 will be a nice tool though and really looking forward to it.

Thanks

Andy

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do.

Leadwerks Game-Ready 3D Models:https://sellfy.com/gib3d

The one button publishing is already possible in LE2, if you design your directory layout that way. For example in the LEBuilder GameLib template I have done this kind of layout, so your game is ready in the distro folder. Just zip it or make it a self-extracting exe, and you can publish the game that way. Also a NSIS installer is easy to configure when all the files are already in the distro folder.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

HI Meta, yea i actually only updated last night and not actually played with the LEbuilder so that sounds like its the job, i was aware is such a way it was possible, but in a different way, before i used to have to make a new directory befor hand, and then any media i have to drop in to there before i could use it etc, where other ones did it the other way around, you do you game in editor then publish and it compiles all into one place.

Ill have a play with LEbuilder later ;)

Andy

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do.

All your requests are already written or in the design spec except terrain brush editing.

The other big feature i would like is custom brushes for terrain editing, this makes life alot easier and gives so much more control over the editing, again gamestart3d's editor has nice terrain editing tools.

Are you talking about the displacement brush stuff from the Half-Life 2 editor?

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Hi Josh, the brush editing is basically like Photoshop brushes etc, instead of having jus a circle to make mountains you can use a brush (black and white image) to scultp with. Means you can easily make rough ground and alot better and more realistic terrain.

Thanks

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

"On this subject though, as currently with LE2 there is one script per intity type, not per object, so to have 2 of the same objects have different scripts, i need to make 2 of the same objects. Unity and gamestart and others allow you to write any script and just drag and drop onto any object (or entity), will this be possible in LE3?"

Now i can dive on LeadWerks programming with tools like Visual Studio, but i agree that for 3D artits, it could be great.

----------------

In fact i think it's already done if i don't misunderstood :( ?

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/blog/1/entry-709-connecting-actors/

Stop toying and make games

In Leadwerks3D you can assign any script or more then one script to an entity. In Leadwerks Engine, you will need to select the script code you want to copy, type Ctrl+C and then open the other model's script and press Ctrl+V.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I recently read how LE3 will be much more supported by scripts using lua which i think is excellent, and whilst that was my ultimate suggestion it sounds like it may have alredy been done. And although big games or any games should be in C++ for best performance or standard, not alot of game designer wannabies know C++ and find it very hard to pick up and i would hazard a guess that most people who come across to leadwerks have dabbled in programming, know what it is or can program and want to design games with an easier tool set so for alot (if not most) who see its nativly C++ will be put alot off, whilst for some it will be what they want.

I don't understand why everyone thinks C++ is so difficult.... It seems like much of a muchness to me, I look and Lua and I'm like 'wtf' not because its hard but just because It's not what I'm used to. I think people tend to think that what they learned first or what they know is easier just because it's familiar. Not that I have anything against Lua or any other particular programming language but I just hear this statement a lot.

Also how many 'game designer wannabies' know any particular programming language or even Lua for that matter? I personally never heard of Lua before I started looking at game engines. Our friend Nick that thaught Gary's Mod was better than LE springs to mind when I read 'game designer wannaby'. But then again even people like that brings more money to leadwerks which = better engine for everyone.

BTW Josh.. will we be able to write scripts in C++ if we want to instead of Lua.. or is scripting a 'Lua only' thing for LE3D. :( I don't mind coding in Lua but just wanna know if we will have this option.

Oh and +1 000 000 for the multiple brushes idea :(

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

@Enginer Keen :

I don't understand why everyone thinks C++ is so difficult..

Well in fact, you seem to be a programmer , perhaps i think passionnated by programming.

But not all people prefer programming instead of 3D art, some prefer to go fast and produce something working , they prefer to program directly gameplay.

Scripting advantage for 3D artists it's a big advantage, caus they have all in the engine editor.

They goal is to make the game content and use existing gameplay core mechanisms and perhaps have some help on the forums for specific stuff !

-----------

Let's take a simple example i followed in the past :

It was an Unity project , a guy had already it's children , family to manage, it's life and work, he didn't have time and passion to learn some programming stuff ...

He had produced really good 3D models and textures for an iphone game. With Unity scripting and existing scripts template, he has just put its futurist tanks and levels together with some help on forum for specific gameplay and his game have been sold and successfull un Apple Store !

In fact its just a point of view,each people have different goals and skills.

Some are moreprogrammer others more 3D artists, some want to program lot of things , others want to make the game and concentrate 90% of time in 3D content than programming,

others prefer to put 90% on programming and have help for 3D content or buy 3D packs !

This thread goal was just to bring another way of using LeadWerks Engine, a 3D artist way , less programming; indeed core C++ programming will remain indeed and be the core

of the engine, no doubt about that, so no need to be frightened by a full scripting system for making games in LE engine if it will come in next version :(

For me i use C#, and at this moment and can do without Lua, but with incoming LE3 new Entities Scripting system i think i could use full Lua only scripting to make a game without using any compiler and staying on the editor only.

It's not like you have to pick one or the other. I have written some code in C++ to bootstrap additional libraries (such as CEGUI) and will probabaly move some CPU-intensive algorithms there as well, but for the most part, I have written everything in Lua because I won't have to wait for long compile times.

@Enginer Keen :

I don't understand why everyone thinks C++ is so difficult..

Well in fact, you seem to be a programmer , perhaps i think passionnated by programming.

Well actually I only started coding in C++ about 3months ago. I am originally a graphic artist and have done way more graphic art than coding....

I do like programming and I do like art as well but my passion doesn't lie in the complexity of either. My passion lies in making games that are fun and doing it without taking shortcuts whether that means learning a bit more or not. Everyone seems to want to conquer the world without putting in a bit of effort....

I'm not trying to start a language war because thats not what this is about. I just think too many people assume that C++ is super hard when it really isn't and because of their assumption they never give it a go, eternally thinking that its really hard and impossible for them. Give me a few good reasons why C++ is significantly more difficult than any other porgramming language out there.... If its a case of simply not liking coding then I don't see the difference between any programming language.. if you want to make a decent game you have to code... or there has to be someone in you team that can code if thats the case...

It's not like you have to pick one or the other.

Yes you are right I don't have to pick one or the other and I don't necessarily plan to. I just don't get what all the fuss is about C++ apparently being "oh so hard".

Peace :)

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

I understand your point of view.

In fact the engine functions remains very the same (same name methods) in terms of call betweeen Lua, C++ or C# !

So in fact it's not C++ is hard, but there are sometimes complicated maths and some C++ thinsg i really don't like, like memory management also in some other game engines.

It don't seem to be the fact with LeadWerks engine.

But i already read some bunch of articoles of people talking about using script language instaed of C++ for making their games.

They are pros and cons, and the advantage like they say, is that they stay in the editor without having to compile and be able to reall fast protoype and change each time the gameplay by script without compiling each time.

For some others the advantage of script was to avoid a compiler , some others taken the way to put complicated maths, routines in C++ and put all the gameplay in Lua.

It's juts that LeadWerks could go towards some sort of Unity or Torque 3D approach, where you can create the entire game by script (entities interaction and script attaching , avoiding to have to place entities by code because they have already been placed in the editor ).

It's just opening up lot more LeadWerks engine to fast game making with scripting system, and im' of the ones that is for this option.

Well each people it's preferences indeed :)

It's juts that LeadWerks could go towards some sort of Unity or Torque 3D approach, where you can create the entire game by script (entities interaction and script attaching , avoiding to have to place entities by code because they have already been placed in the editor ).

It's just opening up lot more LeadWerks engine to fast game making with scripting system, and im' of the ones that is for this option.

It's already doing that, isn't it? I am not loading any entity or script by hand anyway, and you don't have to either.

..i pray to God that LE doesnt follow Unity steps...simple as it is..as for programming...simply use whatever suits your needs...im personally always favorizing direct coding and building up custom tools by myself, and i found that way much more convincing than depending on locked down system what will give me access only trough high level scripts...thanks but no...also, approach depending on game itself, as well as team behind it..so, its all relative...but from what I was able to see in Codemasters studio here (im hanging there quite a lot), artists do art, and programmers do what they suppose to..there is no use of scripting, in terms of creating game, but managing/loading assets only..everything else is coded, including custom bunch of tools suits specific game ... clean and simple..all this scripts abstracting things and drag n drop philosophy , really doesnt feel right to me..not at all..

In fact the engine functions remains very the same (same name methods) in terms of call betweeen Lua, C++ or C# !

It's because people who want script don't actually want to code, they want trial-and-error game making with some premade templates.

.i pray to God that LE doesnt follow Unity steps...simple as it is..as for programming...simply use whatever suits your needs...im personally always favorizing direct coding and building up custom tools by myself, and i found that way much more convincing than depending on locked down system what will give me access only trough high level scripts...thanks but no

That's the plan. There's the scripts for people who want to work at that level, and it can be used without interfering with direct programming. Remember when I first implemented Lua and people didn't understand how it could work together with C++, and then it turned out really simple? It's like that.