MMOFPS?

trainguy

Which Engine  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Leadwerks?

• Leadwerks
    • UDK

Sorry but 3D game Studio don't have any terrain tools !

And for multiplayer you'll have to code all yourself , using racknet or whatever , it's not an oriented multiplayer engine, just browse the forum or ask the question on them.

---------------------

What do you mean by MMO Fps ?

lot of player like COD games, or real MMo like WOW but with rifles, or a real FPS with 256 players ?

It's hard to find a real MMO engine in indie market, you'll have to coed the network management yourself, account management also, inventory and items management , login etc ... etc ...

--------------

You should look at Esenthel engine , that is designed for MMo ,there is some MMO videos on their site , but be carefull and ask on their forums at what you want to do wiht it !

And there is a trial version :

Try to achieve something with the trial version before going further !

-------------

Another solutin, could be Torque 3D , but some people told me that it was doc lacking and a real mess on the code (not at coding), but it is already multiplayer oriented and there are some

sort of mmo made with it :

I found that also :

MMO in 10 seconds

-------------

I htink it's better to make that type of game in a team : one guy make network code and optimisations , another gameplay, another physics for example.

Alone i don't know if it's possible, or it can take long time and hard work ? (you should aks at some guys working on mmos on the videos i posted perhaps ?)

Stop toying and make games

To get a bit back on topic;

I am 17 years old and also making an online FPS too. It is definitely possible to make it, but it really takes years before you have a stable game. The networking and basics (movement, gun system, menu, etc) just takes really long to make it perfect.

From what I hear from you is that you sound confident and willing to learn. Keep it that way, it's only a good thing. If you really want to do it then just go ahead. :)

I can't really tell which engine is better for an online FPS though. I just started UDK at school, but Leadwerks works really well for me. It's very stable and easy to program with (and faster compared to UDK from what I saw). You also have this great community and wiki helping you out whenever you need it.

Using Leadwerks Professional Edition (Beta), mainly using C++.

Windows 10 / Linux Mint, Visual Studio 2017. GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX970, CPU: Intel i7 7700K @ 4.20 GHz

Previously known as Evayr.

• 2 years later...

Before thinking of doing a MMO, you have to evaluate the hardware requirement:

The more users you have on the "servers" (Yes, you will need servers for this), the more servers and bandwidth you will need. Going into a MMO require a lot of budget and resources on the hardware side. Never seen a MMO game being hosted from a garage using a home connection. smile.png

1 - Start by creating a multiplayer game (LAN) first, then try to support more users in a single game. For a single PC, 16 players at the same time is possible if the bandwidth is sufficient to support them.

2- If your going "public" you'll need to check how to get some "ports" (your host) open and do some "NAT" translations to get behind routers.

3- If your still want to go to the full MMO, game you will have to run the game over multiple hosts, and that the servers does "load balancing". Really not an easy task.

Before thinking of doing a MMO, you have to evaluate the hardware requirement:

The more users you have on the "servers" (Yes, you will need servers for this), the more servers and bandwidth you will need. Going into a MMO require a lot of budget and resources on the hardware side. Never seen a MMO game being hosted from a garage using a home connection. smile.png

1 - Start by creating a multiplayer game (LAN) first, then try to support more users in a single game. For a single PC, 16 players at the same time is possible if the bandwidth is sufficient to support them.

2- If your going "public" you'll need to check how to get some "ports" (your host) open and do some "NAT" translations to get behind routers.

3- If your still want to go to the full MMO, game you will have to run the game over multiple hosts, and that the servers does "load balancing". Really not an easy task.

Holy necro batman!

Any reason You decided to resurect a 2½ year old thread?

• Upvote 1

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

I might not know much about programming games in general but I think before you commit to a project you should take the time to outline your ideas out on paper beforehand. I suggest using a technique called mind mapping http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_map. Secondly, I'd say the real question is, is your game going to be free or are you going to charge people to play it? If so you have to also consider the royalties you'd have to pay. If you do decide to go with UDK i'd check out their faqs first. https://www.unrealengine.com/udk/licensing/purchase/ As for leadwerks, I think if I remmber correctly it's free to comercially release your games without paying royalties or buying a license. If you want your game to be sucessfull you'll also have to consider how your going to go about marketing it, which will also cost you money depending on how you choose to go about it.

edit: just realize this was old. didn't mean to add to it.