MMOFPS?

trainguy

Which Engine  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Leadwerks?

• Leadwerks
    • UDK

I thought the OP's question was about trying to find the right engine for an MMOFPS?

And the topic evolved to making games and when you're ready to make a great project. :P

Anyways, I didn't continue with school to start with indie game developing. Which goes great so far. :)

Half you guys seem to be living in cloud cuckoo land .... he's not going to make a successful MMO of any sort in the next few years unless he's had extensive experience of writing game engines beforehand ... end of. Stop leading the guy on. The advice given so far that suggests he tackles some smaller projects first and builds on those is the good and sensible advice! Trainguy ... build small, but think big. You'll get there if you’re determined but you'll need lots of real game design experience behind you and your team (or be prepared to pay big bucks recruiting it) and also lots of finance as just setting up and maintaining the servers you'll need isn't going to come cheap! People who succeed are those who tackle realistic goals, make sure you're one of them!

I don't know, my first programming project was to write a 3D engine, and I am still working on it. I only learned programming because that is what I had to do to make it happen. I certainly didn't learn C++ because I like programming.

I can see the argument for making something small of limited scope, if you want to get a sellable game done in a reasonable amount of time. However, I can also understand someone who just learns what they need to and does whatever it takes to make their idea happen, even if they have to stretch themselves to achieve that.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Seriously, I've been "ATTEMPTING" to write a Real Time Strategy Game/Engine for the last 3 years no joke. This is also when I learned to code with Blitz3D, I got a basic understanding of the language and felt that I knew it pretty well, turned out a bigger and more important part was understanding program design, needless to say, 3 years and 7 revisions later I finally got it ;) But it sucks writing 10K lines of code only to find out you made a huge major mistake in the design and you'd be better of scraping it and starting over, which if you attempt to make a game you don't have the skills to make is bound to happen...

Being inspired to make games gets you into coding, if the coding itself isn't enough to get you to keep at it then you're in the wrong field

5c8e5100fc6df22c8938ce77ed686a42.png = OpenGL

People who succeed are those who tackle realistic goals...

And I have yet to recieve the proper acknowledgment and respect I deserve, only person who has saluted me was Pixel Perfect and Rick, thank you guys.

My mother told me the other day, you keep working hard doing what you are doing, people used to talk **** about Albert Einstein and called him crazy. But yet they would take his ideas and copy his every move and try to use it for their advantage, while all at the same time calling him crazy. How f**kked up is that!?

I am not calling myself the next Albert Einstein, but thats what people do when they are intimidated by someone elses success, tell them that they arent capable of achieving their gaols, then try to copy their every move. Ever since I came to these forums and finished Zombie Bounty, all everyone talks about on these forums now are "how to I manage my projects" "Set realistic goals" "Plan everything out" But not a single person gave me my props for my hard work(Exept RIck, Aggror, and Pixel)

I dont even see people on these forums these days, and trust me I know why. They are working hard, because I have shown them what it really takes Pure dedication and hard work. :-)

I now dwell at Indie Game forums, where people are passionate about actually making fun and playable games, not drooling over realistic lighting effects.

Working on a major RPG project.......will showcase soon.

www.kevintillman1.wix.com/tillmansart

Dude, here's your gold star* here's respect because you deserve it.

And thank you for being "the one" to show us what hard work truly is, without you I would be nothing.

And you're right! All we talk about is how does Kevin Tillman manage his projects and set realistic goals! In fact! I suggested josh remove all other forum topics since we don't use them anyway.

Sincerely

Your loyal pawn

BLaBZ

I agree with MG that the OP was simply looking for the right engine. However, with limited experience tackling an MMO is bound for failure and guess who gets the blame then.

So I do think that it is important that the OP knows what he's getting into before shelling out $250 on this great engine only to discard it after a month, blaming the engine and the documentation/community because it does not have a "MAEK ME A MMO NAO!!!"-button.

On that point I can only quote what Pixel said. Truth right there IMO.

Also, obvious troll is obvious so let's not pay attention.

Making a game is not like driving a car. You will learn to make a big game if you can apply concepts you learned on small projects to big projects.

It's true. But you can apply concepts you learned on not finished big projects to big projects.

There are many learning ways. I begun to code at 12 with a ZX Spectrum in Basic, and learned Assembler a year later (in 1982 there wan not Internet ;) ). Fortunately I didn't say that time I want to make games, I simply did it.

I think everybody can learn whatever if they try. If he fail at first attempt to make a MMOFPS, probably he will be organized better the second time.

"learns from mistakes"

WINDOWS 10 - UBUNTU 20.04 - [iNTEL i5-3330] [16GB RAM] [NVIDIA GTX 1050ti]

learns from mistakes

Everyone learns from mistakes, but if you relied on learning from mistakes to making an MMO (with 1-3 people) it would take you a few decades given that it's not your only thing you do in life. We are saying there is a faster more efficient way to learning. By starting smaller and building on it. As I said, this is why we don't teach calculus to first graders (BLaBZ being the exception. I guess he special or something.). You have to learn to crawl before you run.

Oh that was a joke, I use math libraries instead

You can definitely learn stuff from smaller projects that can help you in larger ones, though the design and construction is going to be drastically different, in that case, what you learned about design for your smaller projects aren't going to help you out as much in the larger projects, Steve McConnel describes it as comparing houses to skyscrapers,

Ok look, let's stop arguing for nothing, and answer the OP, before he gets desperate of our community and goes to Unreal.

Trainguy, if you want to do a MMOFPS, go for it and try.

• Leadwerks will be easier to code in general, but has no network support (it will in LE3).
  • UDK will be harder to code in general, but has networking support and a lot of FPS examples.

Now if you want my opinion, I'd buy Leadwerks and get familiar with it, get some experience, then when LE3 comes out with the Networking you need, you should be more than ready to at least realistically attempt making your game.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Like it have been said on some others forums thousands of times, The best option is to avoid creating an MMO indeed for a first game.

But for new comers, and fisrt project, it can be done, if you take a MMO oriented engine, and just do 3D art modding on top of existing core system.

By mmo oriented i mean , all tchat, login system, inventory systems , messaging, dungeon instance system , data storage , server management, password recovery system ,

etc ... etc .... MMO is even lot more complex than Multiplayer action.

And you'll have to learn the workflow of the 3D engine you'll choose, you'll have to use work arounds for specific Multiplayer problems (lagging etc ...) ....

Good luck anyway, and like a lot say, you only learn by doing mistakes, only trying to make the MMO you'll learn what you can really do or not, and if it can be done, if you are still motivate a year after :( ?

Stop toying and make games