Assets Import

Termin8

Hello all,

I'm sorry for the probable doubling of the topic, but i couldn't find anything related to importing assets.

I'm using the Evaluation Kit of LE and want to import my own set of models into LE. How do i do that?

I know about exporters and formats.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Alexander

There's 3 main methods to import models to LE, which means that you have anykind model format which will be converted to gmf (game model format) model format:

1) Using the converter tools from the SDK. There are about 10 different converters from various formats to GMF in the SDK/Tools folder.

2) Using UU3D. Commercial software, costs around $60, but is way worth it since it allows you to convert hundreds of formats to gmf, and also shows you all kind of errors (vertex normals, face directions, texture assignments, bones, etc...) in the mesh which you can fix in UU3D too.

3) Using 3DSMax direct export to gmf script.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

There's 3 main methods to import models to LE, which means that you have anykind model format which will be converted to gmf (game model format) model format:

1) Using the converter tools from the SDK. There are about 10 different converters from various formats to GMF in the SDK/Tools folder.

2) Using UU3D. Commercial software, costs around $60, but is way worth it since it allows you to convert hundreds of formats to gmf, and also shows you all kind of errors (vertex normals, face directions, texture assignments, bones, etc...) in the mesh which you can fix in UU3D too.

3) Using 3DSMax direct export to gmf script.

Thanks Lumooja,

but i do know how to export models, i just want to know how to IMPORT them into Leadwerks Editor.

Thanks!

Models should be placed inside the models folder of the SDK.

Placing them in a folder structure (inside the folder sdk. for example: Leadwerks SDK\models\mymodels\lamp.gmf) wil not place the model in a mymodels folder when you are in the editor.

If you give your model a name like House_Lamp. Then inside the editor, your lamp model will appear under the map 'house'.

I don't know for sure if it is possible to import your models when working with the trial.

Well, you don't really import anything into Leadwerks Editor, but you just link to them and access them directy. The sbx file is a text file which has links to all assets used in the scene.

A gmf model needs also a minimal Lua script (2 lines) to enable the GUI properties menu for the model.

It also needs a mat file which tells which textures to use.

Usually also a ini file is needed to populate the model with some keys, like collisiontype, model group, etc... Those are custom keys which are used by your game code.

If the model is mobile, then you also need a phy file which tells the engine what kind of physics shape the model has.

If the model has also IK animations, then you need to add some code for the assembly of the ragdoll's physics bodies and joints to the Lua file.

I don't think you can export IK animation from 3DSMax, or maybe it exports something which they call "IK", but it's not real IK. Real IK, or should I say IK+, is based on a lot of AI, where each limb is moved separately, and no hardcoded animations are needed. The AI alone makes the character walk and the physics gives the IK+ feedback from collisions, to which the AI must respond too, for example by taking balancing maneuvers when the model is hit from the side. One of the Havok addons has something similar too.

If you have an animation made indside 3ds max, you can simply export it with the Arbuz-gmf-export plugin. Once exported, you have a material file that needs a special shader called to enable the animation of bones and skeletons. See the user guide for which shader to use.

I am not sure how this goes in conjunction with IK.

IK is just a method (technique) to animate your model. In sense of creating animation in 3d modeling program it has nothing to do with AI.

There are just two basic animation techniques in 3d modelling/animating world of tools. Forward Kinematics and Inverse Kinematics. In first way when you're moving Parent the child goes with parent, and if you animate child it doesn't affect the parent. In the second way (IK) the child movements determines the parent(s) positions and rotations.

In our case in 3ds max or any other program you can use any way of animating methods. In the end the exporter will collapse all animation, i.e. All animated objects will have keyframes in each frame. It just like move animation slider and record all positions and rotations of all exported objects(bones) in each frame.

That what Lumooja is talking about is the way that you can create animation on the fly in game based on physics, AI, and other factors. (Hope I wrote this sentence right :) )

[EDIT]

Ah, I forgot to say, If 3ds max is your primary tool for creating assets, then I can assure you that you will not have any problems with exporting your models if you will use my Leadwerks tools for 3ds max :D It supports almost everything. And if you will find any missing useful feature, I'll try to add it.

Q6600@2.4GHz - 9600GT - 4GB DDR2@800MHz - Windows7 x64

3ds max / photoshop CS3 / C++

http://www.arbuznikov.com

Yes, people often get confused between the two different uses of IK. In the modelling app it is used as an aid to animating the model but the final export is normally just the model with its skeletal animation... you have done with the IK by then as its been translated into animation.

Game engines and AI often use IK though to improve the animation of models in game, a typical example is foot placement. Game engines not using IK will exhibit the classic floating foot symptom when the animated character is walking down a steep incline whereas engines supporting IK will position the foot so it aligns to the slope giving a much more realistic look to the animation.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++