Waterplane Questions

Porsche

I'm creating a primarily outside level with a river and a few small lake-sized bodies of water. However I'm also trying to put in a building that has basement access. While the visibility on flat ground is it's own issue in and of itself (LINK)- I obviously don't want the four levels of the basement in this building to be flooded.

How do I achieve a multi-level basement with a waterplane in the same scene?

simpleSigPNG.png

Artist, Animator, Musician, P/T Programmer

Dual Core @ 2.6GHz per /nVidia 9600 GT/ 4 GBs DDR3 6800 / XP Pro 32/64 Bit

Photoshop CS3 / 3D Studio Max 8 / VS '08

Hmm, alright. I'll just use two separate scenes with a door interaction transition.

Thanks for the quick response Josh. :(

simpleSigPNG.png

Guest Red Ocktober

another possible solution for your app would be to use a single level and to dynamically change the level of the water when either you enter the building... or, depending on the visuals of the building... dynamically change the level of the water as you approach the "stairs" to the basement...

also, take into consideration... the physics enable bouyant objects will drop and rise as the waterheight changes... so if there are any drop noises linked to them, you'll hear it everytime you change the waterlevel...

good luck...

--Mike

I think at some point you should just work within the bounds of what you have. Eventually you will have more options to do stuff like this, and writing workarounds in the meantime will likely cause unforeseen problems like what Red Oktober mentioned. You'll walk up the stairs and find a lot of fish flopping around in your living room, or something.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Guest Red Ocktober
You'll walk up the stairs and find a lot of fish flopping around in your living room, or something.

hey... that would be an interesting sight... :unsure:

now, i wouldn't have suggested this as an option if i hadn't already tried this out... it works fine (assuming that you don't have any fish in those ponds or lakes)...

check out short video --> raising & lowering water level

i'm sure there's quite a few methods of achieving the posted goals with what we have in LW... this is only one suggestion...

--Mike

You'll walk upstairs, the basement will flood, and you'll hear a lot of objects banging around. Then you go back downstairs and things aren't in the same place you left them.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Haha... I think for now the best option on my end is to just use a door. Opening the door (like Fallout 3) will load a different scene. It'll keep frame-rate high, and avoid annoying work-arounds.

simpleSigPNG.png