SendMessage Syntax?

TylerH

I have been trying to setup a simple hitinfo system via SendMessage and ReceiveMessage.

I am sending the message fine, and receiving it fine, but when it comes time to use the "extra", I run into issues.

From my understanding, SendMessage syntax in lua is:

SendMessage(string message, entity sender, int delay, value extra)

I have tried that, passing "damage", an entity, 0, and an integer (5). I also tried swapping delay and extra, and still have no luck.

ReceiveMessage on the prop always picks up extra as nil. What am I doing wrong?

52t__nvidia.png nVidia 530M cpu.gif Intel Core i7 - 2.3Ghz 114229_30245_16_hardware_memory_ram_icon.png 8GB DDR3 RAM Windows7_Start.gif Windows 7 Ultimate (64x)

-----

IconVisualStudio16.png Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate google-Chrome.png Google Chrome PhotoshopLinkIndicator.png Creative Suite 5 icon28.gif FL Studio 10 MicrosoftOfficeLive.png Office 15

-----

csharp.png Expert cpp.png Professional lua_icon.png Expert BMX Programmer

-----

i-windows-live-messenger-2009.pngskype-icon16.pngaim_online.pnggmail.pngicon_48x48_prism-facebook.pngtunein-web.pngyahoo.giftwitter16.png

entity:SendMessage( message, delay, extra )

Extra can be the sender, or something else since not all messages will have a "sender" entity.

I just looked over the docs, and it looks like they are all correct. If you find any discrepancies let me know.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

That can't possibly be right:

if KeyHit(KEY_E)==1 then
	pick=CameraPick(camera,Vec3(GraphicsWidth()/2,GraphicsHeight()/2,2.0),0,0)
	if pick~=nil then
		repeat
			if pick.entity:GetClass()==ENTITY_MODEL then
				break
			end
			pick.entity=pick.entity.parent
		until pick.entity==nil
		if pick.entity~=nil then
			pick.entity:SendMessage("use",controller,0)
		end
	end
end

pick.entity:SendMessage("use",controller,0)

You are clearly passing message,entity (Extra?), and 0 (delay?)

I have tried passing message,table,integer message,integer,table message,integer,integer

None of the combos work. THe message goes through, but on ReceiveMessage extra is always nil, can't be made a number, or something else with it has messed up.

52t__nvidia.png nVidia 530M cpu.gif Intel Core i7 - 2.3Ghz 114229_30245_16_hardware_memory_ram_icon.png 8GB DDR3 RAM Windows7_Start.gif Windows 7 Ultimate (64x)

-----

IconVisualStudio16.png Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate google-Chrome.png Google Chrome PhotoshopLinkIndicator.png Creative Suite 5 icon28.gif FL Studio 10 MicrosoftOfficeLive.png Office 15

-----

-----

i-windows-live-messenger-2009.pngskype-icon16.pngaim_online.pnggmail.pngicon_48x48_prism-facebook.pngtunein-web.pngyahoo.giftwitter16.png

That doesn't explain why your second parameter is an entity and the third a 0.

And man, I wish it could support integers and Lua tables, that would make scripting actually useful! I never heard of not being able to pass an integer...

-----

-----

-----

All is swell, I just pass integers as strings and pick them out as integers. :D

-----

-----

-----

Ok, this is definitely the order:

message,delay (I pass "0", since an integer crashes), and then extra (I pass bullet.damage as a string)

This is sweet, I setup the props_locker file to receive damage messages and set its health. I tested it and the damage falloff works!

Now just to figure out why entity.model:SetColorf(...) in the ReceiveMessage callbacks isn't setting the color...

-----

-----

-----

Check out the gallery, I added a screenshot of the new ability to shoot the doors off of the lockers (Lockers have health, joint is freed if lower than 75)

-----

-----

-----