Video Tutorials for Ultra App Kit?

Josh

People always ask me for video tutorials. Does it make sense to make a video tutorial for a programming SDK? Ultra App Kit doesn't really have a user interface so video tutorials seem like they might not be that useful to me. What do you think?

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Any way to show the product in action in marketing is totally valid.  A video showing how the product is used, highlighting its advantages, its workflow, etc. will help more than one to get to know the product better. It is proven that an image accompanied by comments is better in the mind of the interested person than something written. 

• 2 months later...
56 minutes ago, GenebrisЖ said:

Great, that's what I would like to see when I've just bought the kit. By the way, what if I want to use VS Code? I'd still need to have Visual Studio open and compile in it, right?

I think VSCode supports C++ somehow, but I am not sure about the details of that.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Regarding the Video:

-Good straight forward explanation of how to get started and excellent  demonstration of how to use the example scripts.

- Some umm and arrrs that could be fixed up.

- I know the App Kit is aimed at experienced users but no explanation of how to get / use Visual studio.

- You skipped the login process for Ultra App Kit.

37 minutes ago, GenebrisЖ said:
1 hour ago, Thirsty Panther said:

There is an C++ extension for VS Code.

It doesn't compile.

I think you still need msvc installed. Visual Studio is my go to for C++ but if/when this and the new engine go multiplatform, VS code should be supported.

Also nice video Josh, I enjoy watching them. ?

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

12 hours ago, Thirsty Panther said:

Regarding the Video:

-Good straight forward explanation of how to get started and excellent  demonstration of how to use the example scripts.

- Some umm and arrrs that could be fixed up.

- I know the App Kit is aimed at experienced users but no explanation of how to get / use Visual studio.

- You skipped the login process for Ultra App Kit.

I am trying to record these in a way that minimizes how easily they will become outdated. In fact, I am going to re-do this one and remove all mentions of "Ultra App Kit" since the video is applicable to Ultra Engine SDK and I don't want to redo it in the future. I also don't mention the log in process because there is no guarantee of the order the videos will be presented in in the future, or maybe the login process will be different depending on where the software was purchases.

Getting the speech perfect will probably double or triple production time, so I am just going to focus on getting the content out and try not to make chewing noises into the microphone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Josh said:

I am trying to record these in a way that minimizes how easily they will become outdated. In fact, I am going to re-do this one and remove all mentions of "Ultra App Kit" since the video is applicable to Ultra Engine SDK and I don't want to redo it in the future. I also don't mention the log in process because there is no guarantee of the order the videos will be presented in in the future, or maybe the login process will be different depending on where the software was purchases.

Getting the speech perfect will probably double or triple production time, so I am just going to focus on getting the content out and try not to make chewing noises into the microphone.

haha, I didn't hear any chewing sounds)

Okay, that wraps up all the big ideas that I think benefit from video explanations. The widget layout and DPI scaling stuff are especially important.

I could make more videos but it would just be me running the examples and giving a commentary, which I don't feel adds much. Maybe I will do more in the future, but I feel this is good for now.

• Like 2

Hi Josh, really liking App Kit Ultra. A video which is missing is more in depth on how to place widgets into panels and have these widgets interact with other panel content. I'm stuck on how this all works with the event system as it is a little different to using if statements in the code. Also, an example of this in  code, where multiple widgets are demonstrated at the same time as would be the norm for an IDE type program.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Martin Harris said:

Hi Josh, really liking App Kit Ultra. A video which is missing is more in depth on how to place widgets into panels and have these widgets interact with other panel content. I'm stuck on how this all works with the event system as it is a little different to using if statements in the code. Also, an example of this in  code, where multiple widgets are demonstrated at the same time as would be the norm for an IDE type program.

I am working on one big video that goes through all the widget types and explains what they do and the different style options.

• Like 1

That's great news, looking forward to seeing it. I'm wanting to put a black and grey checkerboard into a window with openGL would that be something which could go in? I'm working through GL at the moment as it's the first time with this for me.

This is what I have done so far. 

image.thumb.png.29bf5f8e026566a67ae7b8a464c7c023.png

Hi Josh,

I got the ultra app kit on the store, went through the documentation and all the videos and tested it in visual studio, it is great and really helpful. I find that the sdk removes a lot of the headaches that come up in native programming. Though I have a few requests, in the kickstarter video of the ultra app kit you mentioned creating your own widgets, but I cant seem to find anything in the documentation that explains how to create custom widgets etc, so if a video explaining that would be very helpful.

Also I find that ultra app kit might need some functions that allows the user to create shapes such as lines, splines, circles, rectangles etc, for instance I have to create engineering related desktop applications and I want to make graphs with lines and axes, at the moment it seems that it might not be possible with the current version of the app kit based on documentation. Also widgets like node based material editors as seen in unreal and unity etc, so some features concerning these might really boost the app kit as ultimately you might need these in future for the new game engine as well. So if its possible with the current version of the kit, then a video explaining how to do it and if not then some sort of a roadmap of future features for the kit would really boost the user interest in this framework. Thanks.

Edited by m.yuneeb90
minor fixes in grammar
  • Like 1