OK, Lemme See If I Have This Right...

Guest Red Ocktober

Guest Red Ocktober

i load a scene in lua... but i only see certain things... the landscape seems to show up, but there's no sky... no water... sometimes i see pointlights... and there's no player...

i thought that when you loaded a scene it was supposed to show exactly what you saw in the editor (or pretty close to it)...

so... now i'm wondering... do i have to write up a process scene function for lua... that will parse the scene, get the kiddies, and set em up properly...

if this is the case... how would i read in an objects position...

thnx for all help...

--Mike

Guest Red Ocktober
If it works give use an example of it in c++

... or in any language... lua script if necessary.

just a simple example of the code needed to load a map and display it as it is seen in the editor...

good idea Jim... this'll go a long ways to jumpstarting a lot of us...

--Mike

Actually Josh one thing I realised not 2 minutes ago, and I'm not yet sure sure if this is related, is that the models and materials under /Private/ won't work in anything but the editor. Why? Because you've password protected the .pak files, which contain all the files for those models. It looks like you've got copies of most of the files in the directory there, but a few (texture for the Spruce tree for example) aren't.

If you try to load ANY of the included maps via LUA, and I presume C++ as well, they fail because they cannot find a file here or there. Trying to load the train map causes the skybox and terrain to fail to load and you only get the train and tracks.

• Downvote 2

Programmer, Modeller

Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.5GHz | GeForce 480 GTX | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 7 Premium x64

Visual Studio 2008 | Photoshop CS3 | Maya 2009

Actually Josh one thing I realised not 2 minutes ago, and I'm not yet sure sure if this is related, is that the models and materials under /Private/ won't work in anything but the editor. Why? Because you've password protected the .pak files, which contain all the files for those models. It looks like you've got copies of most of the files in the directory there, but a few (texture for the Spruce tree for example) aren't.

If you try to load ANY of the included maps via LUA, and I presume C++ as well, they fail because they cannot find a file here or there. Trying to load the train map causes the skybox and terrain to fail to load and you only get the train and tracks.

I think its obvious why the .pak files are protected and reside in a folder called "private". :)

As far as I am aware (as I have not gotten around to lua yet for this purpose) you need to make sure you have the right paths to those files, lua does not use Josh's abstract file system.

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

Guest Red Ocktober

but geeeee... i'd luv to use that viper in one of my commercial games :)

anywhooo... take a look at the engine.log i got after running a leel in the standalone script ed... it seems as if the fail to load lines might be trying to load a non existant file...

Loading mesh "c:/program files/leadwerks engine sdk/models/entities/environment/waterplane/environment_waterplane.gmf"...

Loading material "c:/program files/leadwerks engine sdk/materials/water/water.mat"...

Warning: Failed to load texture "c:/program files/leadwerks engine sdk/materials/water/water01DOT3.dds": Path not found.

Warning: Failed to load texture "abstract::water01DOT3.dds": Path not found.

Failed to load texture "water01DOT3.dds".1

hhhmmmm....

--Mike

but geeeee... i'd luv to use that viper in one of my commercial games :)

anywhooo... take a look at the engine.log i got after running a leel in the standalone script ed... it seems as if the fail to load lines might be trying to load a non existant file...

Loading mesh "c:/program files/leadwerks engine sdk/models/entities/environment/waterplane/environment_waterplane.gmf"...

Loading material "c:/program files/leadwerks engine sdk/materials/water/water.mat"...

Warning: Failed to load texture "c:/program files/leadwerks engine sdk/materials/water/water01DOT3.dds": Path not found.

Warning: Failed to load texture "abstract::water01DOT3.dds": Path not found.

Failed to load texture "water01DOT3.dds".1

hhhmmmm....

--Mike

As far as I know water01DOT3.dds is not included in the SDK when testing the water plane under framewerk in C++ I got this to, I don't know if its needed. Probably the same as the old erroneous loading attempt of 723.dds

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

I think its obvious why the .pak files are protected and reside in a folder called "private". :)

As far as I am aware (as I have not gotten around to lua yet for this purpose) you need to make sure you have the right paths to those files, lua does not use Josh's abstract file system.

Wait, so we've got shareware in our SDK?

• Downvote 1

Programmer, Modeller

Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.5GHz | GeForce 480 GTX | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 7 Premium x64

Guest Red Ocktober
As far as I know water01DOT3.dds is not included in the SDK when testing the water plane under framewerk in C++ I got this to, I don't know if its needed. Probably the same as the old erroneous loading attempt of 723.dds

or maybe the filenames are being mangled by one of the internal routines... a back facing slash or something lua might not like... i really don't know...

anyways... just thought that it would be neat to be able to load a scene... and have it load like you saw it in the ed...

check out Mack's ProcessScene() function for BMax (it's in his blog, part of his TestMap.bmx)... it's so far the closest anyone's come to actually loading a scene as it was in the editor...

it should be easy to port over to c++...

--Mike

Wait, so we've got shareware in our SDK?

I suppose so you did read the dexsoft-games.txt that resides in the same Private folder as the .pak files you were looking at?

Does it matter?

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

it should be easy to port over to c++...

I have been working with mack on that very issue @length :)

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Guest Red Ocktober

i'm gonna take a cat nap... it's 5:30 am over here, and i've been up for almost 46 hours... see ya all this afternoon sometime...

T H A N K S for all the help...

--Mike

i'm gonna take a cat nap... it's 5:30 am over here, and i've been up for almost 46 hours... see ya all this afternoon sometime...

T H A N K S for all the help...

--Mike

Only 46 hours? you lightweight lol :)

Have a nice nap.

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

I suppose so you did read the dexsoft-games.txt that resides in the same Private folder as the .pak files you were looking at?

Does it matter?

Well yeah it kind of does. The items are readily available in the editor, so one fully expects to be able to use them. Instead you get some abstract error and crash because LE can't find the one or two files that are locked away. Only after digging through the logs and searching out the offending models do you find this locked pak file and a document stating that they're shareware. Thats shady business for a product you pay good money for.

• Downvote 2

Programmer, Modeller

wow... :)

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Guest Red Ocktober
Only 46 hours? you lightweight lol

old age i guess... i used to be able to hang when i was younger... anyways... i'm back... couldn't sleep much longer than a few hours... lets see what i can't get done today before i burn out and crash...

actually... i've been working on two things totally unreleated for the past few days... this and something really important :)

--Mike