Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gameplay Development/Writing Cheatsheet

Hey guys, can we discuss different techniques and strategies in making gameplay?

So far I have:

• Go to NPC > Get Quest > Fetch/Retrieve an Item > Go back to NPC > Complete quest.
  • Kill X amount of monsters to complete quest.
  • Kill X NPC to complete quest.

I would like to get your ideas of gameplay(s) that we can incorporate to our games. It doesn't have to be complex, just throw any ideas you have, it could be as simple as: Collect Stars, earn points. Whatever you might have.

This sounds as somebody who wants to make a kind of RPG mechanics - especially open world -  with the main difficulty on how to fill it, but this can be usefull for all type of games.

And this is a real question because even games AAA become mostly boring when they propose to the player over and over the same of design: Go to point A, kill some rats, get this item (the lost sword of my Grandpa), Go to point B. 

Just this system over and over in an incredible more and more beautiful painted world.

So my answer would be, maybe kind of laborious, but invent a story, don't spare at a captivating scenario to follow and surprise the player with it, and evenif the graphics doesn't include the best last models, the game will be appreciated.

Forget the copy/paste gameplay tehniks that is only pleasant for the developpers (easier to build) and compose a story.

I know this is easy to tell and hard to make. Example for those games are the Gothic 1,2,3 from Pyrannhya Bytes but much more others.

Exploration is a more and more used technik but I think it is preferable not to tell the player where he has something to find (not like ubisoft with the 1000 "?" on the map) just let the player seek for something, somewhere, being sometimes deceived, sometimes rewarded with great loot. (morrowind was best for this)

So my answer would be, maybe kind of laborious, but invent a story, don't spare at a captivating scenario to follow and surprise the player with it, and evenif the graphics doesn't include the best last models, the game will be appreciated.

I know what you mean @Marcousik?

On that note, if we can borrow from Fallout: 

• Encounter NPC in map, present a quest that's aligned with either good or evil, make the player decide whether to agree or decline.
  • At the end, give the player reward, and give or take karma from player depending on the quest (whether it's for good or evil).