Programming Poll

Josh

215 members have voted

1. 1. What is your main programming language you use with Leadwerks Engine?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Luuuuuuuuuuuaaaaaaaaaa! I probably would have given up game dev a long time ago if it was not for Lua :)

• Upvote 1

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 gigs ram, 3.30GHz Quad Core, GeForce GTX 460 one gig, Leadwerks 2.5, Blender 2.62, Photoshop CS3, UU3D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I like Python, but Lua reminds me of Python... and it seems pretty easy...so I voted Lua.

I am waiting for Josh to tell us what he plans on using for Leadwerks 3, so if its not Lua, ill focus on whatever he chooses..

Hoped it would be the same as it is now, with many options..hated C++ when I took a class on it, I could not get a handle on it, but I understand the reasons for staying with 1 language, one that most people use..

Blitzmax seems fairly easy to understand also..

Whatever is chosen ... some in-depth tutorials would be nice, for people that dont normally use that language..

Threadripper 2920X Gen2 CPU(AMD 12-core 24 thread) | 32Gigs DDR4 RAM | MSI Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Stock OCed | ASRock X399 Professional Gaming Motherboard | Triple M.2 500Gig SSD's in Raid0

Windows 10 Pro | Blender | Paint.NetWorld Machine | Shader Map 4 | Substance Designer | Substance Painter | Inkscape | Universal Sound FX | ProBuilder | 3D World Studio | Spacescape | OpenSky | CubeMapGen | Ecrett Music | Godot Engine | Krita | Kumoworks | GDScript | Lua | Python | C# | Leadworks Engine | Unity Engine

• 3 months later...

I cant wait to see what Matz is cooking up with mruby. https://github.com/mruby/mruby

If you have tasted Ruby; Lua is just lame. You get used to lua not having real booleans, decent built in iterators, no built in mixin support, arrays starting a 1?? global variables by default. Lua does give you the benefit of not over thinking a problem. At least you can return multiple values from a single function... I use that all of the time tongue.png

Being said, I use lua for 85% of the code it seems and c++ for the rest.

+1 for Lua/C++ with the hope of torching lua as soon as mruby is ready :D

Changed from Bmax to c three weeks ago. Its a nice change not having to put local or global in front of each variable but some strange things happen in c that didn't occur in Bmax. Tonight I used EntityDistance with a value of 16. The program crashed. I changed the value to 5 and no crash.Weird. I still have my Bmax version up and running. Its slightly faster than c in fps.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

• 2 months later...