Programming Poll

Josh

215 members have voted

1. 1. What is your main programming language you use with Leadwerks Engine?

My C# headers should be more than portable to Mono. I tried it once, worked fine. So far you can use WINE to run LE on Linux, although Josh said previously that he had successfully tested on Linux without WINE, with only minor modifications to his source (it's OGL, after all :)).

Cool to see more and more people come to C#. I'm perfecting my headers continuously, and as soon Josh releases his compiled Framewerk, I will integrate it seamlessly. LUA scene loading will be included in "Scene.Load()". If you have any suggestions for the C# wrapper, post in the C# section, I'm watching it :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I use C# all the way and thanks to the work of Ubu it works quite well :)

I used to use C++ until now and it does the job quite well, but i wanted to try something new and i was, and still are, surprised how well C# does get the job done. You get so much functionality right out of the box, thats quite awesome!

Mfg Imp

• 2 weeks later...

When you say that one language is faster than another do you mean a faster framerate?

I think maybe sped is governed by the speed of le functions.

I think so too, that's why I moved my project from C++ (which I know very little) to C# (which I use from many years). I hope not to be doing a bad choice. :)

?? FRANCESCO CROCETTI ??

http://skaredcreations.com

• 2 months later...

C++ its my language of choice to explore in, I use most languages but C/C++ is still like going home. Its fast, very powerful, and gets-stays out of the way when I want it to.

Plus, I have enough code laying around so that most of what I do is already "out of the box" as it were.

I get better fps with blitzmax than c++ using the same level. To get comparable fps in c++ I have to switch off some post proccesing stuff but not so with Bmax. I don't know why. Just true in my case.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

I get better fps with blitzmax than c++ using the same level. To get comparable fps in c++ I have to switch off some post proccesing stuff but not so with Bmax. I don't know why. Just true in my case.

yes. Marley and I experienced the same 6 months ago, which is why we stayed with bmax... my fear now is that we bmaxer's will get slowed down to the current c++ speed once LE3.0 comes out and we have to import a dll... :)

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

yes. Marley and I experienced the same 6 months ago, which is why we stayed with bmax... my fear now is that we bmaxer's will get slowed down to the current c++ speed once LE3.0 comes out and we have to import a dll... :)

I've not experienced that, but if it happens to someone, it might be that you are running the C++ in debug mode with the debug define enabled, which will use the debug.dll, which is very very very slow. Also without the debug.dll the C++ debug mode can be slower than BlitzMax in release mode.

If your C++ is slower in release mode, then it might be that the slowness of blitzmax comes with the dll, and since there are more blitzmax commands in the dll than in the blitzmax version, then C++ has to process more slow code.

When the dll is made in C++, there will be fast code inside, and the dll code will be also fast. So BlitzMax will be faster with LE3 than it is now, and C++ will be also faster than BlitzMax.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

I've not experienced that, but if it happens to someone, it might be that you are running the C++ in debug mode with the debug define enabled, which will use the debug.dll, which is very very very slow. Also without the debug.dll the C++ debug mode can be slower than BlitzMax in release mode.

If your C++ is slower in release mode, then it might be that the slowness of blitzmax comes with the dll, and since there are more blitzmax commands in the dll than in the blitzmax version, then C++ has to process more slow code.

When the dll is made in C++, there will be fast code inside, and the dll code will be also fast. So BlitzMax will be faster with LE3 than it is now, and C++ will be also faster than BlitzMax.

Yes. I agree on that

AV MX Linux

• 2 months later...

With the new C# headers, I hope people will start using C#.

I'm not sure about a shipping game, because it kinda feels wrong to oblige people to download and install a 300MB framework (even when most users will have it installed already) But for anything else (editors,tools etc.) C# is the perfect solution. Thanks for your hard work.

desktop: Quad core Q6600 + 4GB + ATI HD4890 + XP

laptop: Dual core T6400 + 4 GB + NVidia 9600M GT + Vista 32

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure about a shipping game, because it kinda feels wrong to oblige people to download and install a 300MB framework (even when most users will have it installed already) But for anything else (editors,tools etc.) C# is the perfect solution. Thanks for your hard work.

I cannot understand why all non-NET programmers complain about "downloading XXX MB of framework", don't you know that you can simply include the framework redistribution package directly in your setup program? :lol:

?? FRANCESCO CROCETTI ??

http://skaredcreations.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

BlitzMax for me, the reason for that is that I use Basic languages for over 15 years now, starting with MS Basic on my Sony HitBit MSX (It still works :) ), after that on my dads 286 with QBasic,and after that my Amiga CD32 + SX1 with BlitzBasic II and now BlitzMax on my AMD64 am2 6000+.

I tried MS VisualBasic, but didn't like the way it worked...

It's nice to see how Basic evolved over time starting out with linenumbers and commands like GOTO or GOSUB to today's OOP.