Programming Poll

Josh

215 members have voted

1. 1. What is your main programming language you use with Leadwerks Engine?

Hi... i would just like to say, this poll cold be slightly deceiving. What i mean by that is, i guess you may use a poll for many reason but one reason would be so you know what direction to aim LE for, for such things as.. support, examples, documention, headers, tutorials ETC (may be not be the case here, but this is just in case you intent to). Well, i voted C++ simply because thats what i am currently using, but not by choice. Simply beacuse that is what is most currently supported for... for example the tutorials... there nearly all aimed at C++ and so i download MSVC++ and went from there, but i would much prefer to use blitmax and i know that if there was as many tutorials and examples for blitzmax than there was for C++ then my vote would be for blitzmax, not C++.

Not a rant, just thought ide say as i feel with the way results are going this will only push you more towards c++ users.

Maybe a poll for "what would you prefer to use" :D

Thanks

Andy

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do.

Leadwerks Game-Ready 3D Models:https://sellfy.com/gib3d

Repod was done in C++ and so will future projects by Husky Engineering.

It's like JFK announcing the moon mission. He had no expertise in space travel, and no way of knowing if it would work. He just announced "we're going to the moon" and then they made it happen because everyone was on the same page and working towards the same goal. If he had said "well, let's get some people in space, and we'll see how far out we can get, and if I find someone to make a rocket strong enough, we could possibly approach the moon's orbit and maybe land" it wouldn't have happened.

I'm using a combination of Lua and C++. I am using a version of luabind for my Lua implementation with v2.28 and I'm using Lua for entity behaviour and AI. I am currently quite happy with this combination because I can program with the engine in C++ at a lower level and then expose specially tailored general function to Lua and write scripts using those functions instead of exposing all of the engine's functions. I can also use Lua in a more object oriented way by defining classes in C++ and calling them in Lua, this is similar to what ID software did with their ID Tech 4 engine.

Intel 2nd Generation i5 Quad Core Running at 3.30GHz. 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 460 1024MB DDR5.

I chose c/c++, but if i could get Lazlo's .net wrapper working with custom buffer, i would probably have chose vb.net, no c#, cause vb.net not an option. :blink:

I'm just a lot faster coding with .net, could always port to c/c++ later, if i had to.

Win 7 64, LE 2.31, Liquid Cooled I7-960 @ 4.00GHz, 6GB DDR3 Ram @ 1600mhz, BFG GTX295, Sound Blaster X-FI.

Hi... i would just like to say, this poll cold be slightly deceiving. What i mean by that is, i guess you may use a poll for many reason but one reason would be so you know what direction to aim LE for, for such things as.. support, examples, documention, headers, tutorials ETC (may be not be the case here, but this is just in case you intent to). Well, i voted C++ simply because thats what i am currently using, but not by choice. Simply beacuse that is what is most currently supported for... for example the tutorials... there nearly all aimed at C++ and so i download MSVC++ and went from there, but i would much prefer to use blitmax and i know that if there was as many tutorials and examples for blitzmax than there was for C++ then my vote would be for blitzmax, not C++.

Not a rant, just thought ide say as i feel with the way results are going this will only push you more towards c++ users.

Maybe a poll for "what would you prefer to use" :)

Thanks

Andy

Agree. You are not the first one that felt they had to use C++ for leadwerks simply because most of examples/tuts were geared towards c++. It was unfortunate that the decision was to focus on c++. Always thought it was strange that the logic for doing this was because bmax users can simply convert c++ tuts whereas apparently c++ users can't convert bmax tuts... but in any case, what I have found as well as others (actually we just had a recent convert :) ) that bmax is still a lot easier to get a handle on for LE especially if you are new to programming.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

(actually we just had a recent convert :D )

Who in their right mind would do such a thing? :)

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

ill go for the c++... later ill use lua ingame for scripting purpose but not for the mainpart.

Maybe it might be a good question if most people will use lua _for_ the game or lua _in_ the game?

cu

Oliver

Windows Vista 64 / Win7 64 | 12GB DDR3 1600 | I7 965 | 2 * 280GTX sli | 2 * 300GB Raptor | 2 * 1.5TB

Guest Red Ocktober

so far, both BMax and c++ work great... going back and forth between the two is no big deal...

sorry... that doesn't really help your poll any... does it... :)

--Mike

I would have went with C# if it was more supported back when I started learning LE. I was introduced into BlitzMax because of that though. BlitzMax is a great way to program quickly, but I just wish it had some of the features I like with the C language, like overloading. I would love overloading with BMax.

I'll be using C++ for my core engine, because it needs to be fast. But for game specific bits like quest/plot/telling characters where to go, effects, making things open shut and move, I'll use LUA.

Win 7 Pro 64 bit

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz

GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+

4 GB RAM

I went back and forth between C++ and C# a couple of times.

Settled for C# in the end because of:

A) Unified Event Model. Oh how I love this.

:) No dirty hacks required to make circular includes work. (A has B, B also has A).

C) It cuts development time in half (partly because I know C# better than C++).

D) Built-in class diagram editor with code generation in Visual Studio. Kinda supports point C.

Being a binary licensee I cannot run my games on Linux anyway so I don't really care about that. When Leadwerks does start supporting other operating systems maybe I can get it to run on Linux anyway using Mono. I haven't checked.