Rough Cinematic Composition

mdgunn

Here is a mockup of the opening cinematic to test what joining them together would be like.  The flyover section (2nd bit) is too long. When I put them together in engine I will make it shorter.  There is clipping on the 3rd bit as it was a quick test. 

• Like 1

I see the cinematic as triggering on a new game. The aim is to try to help make clear what might seem a confusing situation (e.g. they would naturally think the space ship is in space)

The aim is to try to convey the following information:

• The cube is a mysterious device of some ability - it can locate and navigate to ship
  • There is a landscape out there beyond the ship
  • The ship is buried - rather than being in space as the user would otherwise naturally assume.
  • The ship is connected to the surface through some temple like structure
  • The cube managed to locate an external entry point - the gripping arms and delivery tube.
  • The cube is attacking the ship with electricity, the cube splits in half and the sphere emerges and tries to hack in with a manipulator tool (unless I get the cube to do that but I think it will be the sphere).  The electricity then links with the electricity that I showed in the AI level that I need to add in (if I haven't lost the copy of the level I put it in).
  • There is a ship AI trying to wake player - I will after this move camera into ship through window to near head position of cryo tube and fade to white there, with AI message either before the fade so we know what is going on from point of view of situation outside sleep in real world.

I think I will end things that the cube is attacking outside, the sphere is trying to get in but is not yet in and the ship is trying to wake player up.  Sphere will later get further inside later I think so there is an extra bit of action/emergency. 

Any comments just let me know.

Over the weekend I will try to find time to do some combination of: 

• VR unit (made a bit of a start on this).
  • Probably consider mechanism of how cryo room sets values that vr room can see.  I guess I just set something in the global object that I think you have. 
  • Make sure I can physically activate the key story points that we've been discussin to get between levels and move story along.  I have a simplified level where I will put each of the objects that can trigger things (e.g. regain health, trigger level from VR etc.). You can see it below (it is in maps/test/storypath/test-story-path-1.map) though may not be latest version. 
  • Further tie together cinematics.
  • Further flesh out the ship to surface/temple/factory bit which is still mostly block-in. Think I may avoid linking in my additional extension to this level until this more complete
  • Rebuild cryo level.  Unfortunately I still find it crashes if I try to change it.  I'm thinking of splitting it down into a few smaller rooms anyway. This will take some time but I think I'm going to have to do it as I think it will make things better and help keep frame rates up by reducing max viewable items at any one position.
  • Possibly some ship decals
  • (possible) play with remodelling tank bot some more

I think that would also be the rough order though things might be done.  

screenshot190.thumb.jpg.bcc8abff498c723dcd39db78069b84a0.jpg

Edited by mdgunn
Couple of corrections.