Testing New Teleporter in Level 3

mdgunn

Added in test teleporter to level 3.  This will need to change to match in part how the current teleporters work. I have added these in for now as a demo for @aiafthat we have some scripts to do the particles and sound (which could change) so that we can move fowards and integrate part sound and particles into the existing.

screenshot182.thumb.jpg.dba782c99a25be46187011758d72ed5f.jpg

I think will be using the emitters without the prefab , i setup one of the teleporters for now.

I dont have much time this morning.I commited just one set of the emitters,

once i get back from work ill finish and make activation only show when wou step through.

Looking great.And i plan to use this effect as a one way teleporter in level01a to make the player know what it is.

I made this with Leadwerks/UAK:

Structura Stacky Desktop Edition

Binary Station

I'd maybe consider making it so that there is one of the emitters running all the time (not a one shot but a loop)  - maybe some beam like particles but up to you. I would probably only run the others as one shots when it triggers and have a delay before they fire whatever the normal command would be ( a simple timer).   The reason I mention this is that some of those emitters were on purpose quite aggressive because the intention was that you would be inside the effect when it was fired and only looking at a small section of the effect so it more 'full' than if you get to see the whole thing from outside.   

Just one other thing....when in the editor the effect was probably appearing to run all the time as in the screenshot I posted, but with the prefab it only fires on triggering, though I sometimes have teleporters which have some minor effect running all the time which can be nice to add some visual movement to a scene.

Ok ill change it to have only bars running at first and rest only on activation of teleporter.For less aggressive visuals.

No need for one shot or timer because of the way the teleports are working, you activate one teleport by mouse over and press e key, I show a reader then show the emitters for that teleport , you are not required to walk in the teleport immediately you can just look at it.Once you pass a teleporter i hide the activated emitters. 

Binary Station

Yeah I remember you use it from sort of outside (or can do).  Would it maybe be better if you did have to get in the teleporter and there was a button  at waist or chest height you had to look at and use. Might feel more involved if you have to get in it and activate it in a correct way? I could demo what I mean if you want. Might be nice to have another shot at the teleporter as the current one was just a quick one as I didn't like the first one I did.  Not a high priority but I don't mind having a go at another teleporter and button if you want. 

Also....is the teleporter sometimes taking the user back out of VR.  I am thinking having a VR station in the real world so I think rather than triggering of the table they would go to this station in each of the rooms. So would they use VR station to enter VR and teleporter as a sort of 'exit sign' for coming back out?

I'm trying to look more closely at level 3 but I am still having trouble with the consol loadmap. Seems to crash out for me always.  Here is video of me trying to do it.  Not sure it really shows much but here it is anyway.  Also the red teleporter looks less aggressive from this distance so maybe there is a balance to be struck which emitters and how many and also the probably appears less bright when not lots shooting in close proximity and also not when not bright white.

Yeah I remember you use it from sort of outside (or can do).  Would it maybe be better if you did have to get in the teleporter and there was a button  at waist or chest height you had to look at and use. Might feel more involved if you have to get in it and activate it in a correct way? I could demo what I mean if you want. Might be nice to have another shot at the teleporter as the current one was just a quick one as I didn't like the first one I did.  Not a high priority but I don't mind having a go at another teleporter and button if you want. 

I would like to keep the current way the teleporter works in vr.

We can use buttons on the real world levels.

If you want to make a better effect for teleport sure.Can you add a demo button in level01a so i see how it works, want to use that to activate an event that will rotate the pillars.

Also....is the teleporter sometimes taking the user back out of VR.  I am thinking having a VR station in the real world so I think rather than triggering of the table they would go to this station in each of the rooms. So would they use VR station to enter VR and teleporter as a sort of 'exit sign' for coming back out? 

Yes, a vr station in real world would be great far better then triggering off the table.

At the moment to exit vr you need to input a command , i think we can keep this is consistent with how vr is used.

I'm trying to look more closely at level 3 but I am still having trouble with the consol loadmap. Seems to crash out for me always.  Here is video of me trying to do it.  Not sure it really shows much but here it is anyway.  Also the red teleporter looks less aggressive from this distance so maybe there is a balance to be struck which emitters and how many and also the probably appears less bright when not lots shooting in close proximity and also not when not bright white.

I dont get it , im doing same thing and it works.

For some reason the red teleporter doesnt show up on the white background, probably because of the alpha i dont know.

Thats why i put some objects behind the teleporters for it to be visible.

Its exactly the same emitter from the teleporter with color change.But for my purpose in that level i think it looks good.

Binary Station

I added a test switch and a pulsing light hooked up to it to level01 as requested.  You can also take a look at \Maps\Test\Items\test_switch.map which shows it in  a more applied situation of a locked door with 2 switches, one of which changes the locked setting of the other one.