Porting To Xbox

Shard

105 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Like Xbox Portability?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • Don't Know

If games are being rented or resold, the money isn't flowing to the studios. If the money isn't flowing to the studios, they will drop a platform like a hot potato.

All it takes is something like this. This isn't it, quite yet, but it's coming. Imagine when two people can walk up to any TV, pull out their phones, and start playing a game together. I can tell you for sure the average consumer won't be able to tell the difference between these graphics and the next generation of console graphics, just like my cat can't see his reflection in a mirror.

The control precision argument is moot because you have the controller in your pocket, all the time, and the console gamepad is at home on the coffee table.

I don't have any preference on what I want to happen, because my platform of choice is PC circa 2007, but this is just what I think will happen.

Yes, that is something you can play on a road trip. Or while waiting for the bus. But when your battery is dead your going to want to play a game on a bigger screen. It would be such a waist of nice big flat screen tv's :(

Yes, that is something you can play on a road trip. Or while waiting for the bus. But when your battery is dead your going to want to play a game on a bigger screen. It would be such a waist of nice big flat screen tv's sad.png

What if the iPad 3 has a 1080p display? What if Apple includes a standard gamepad controller with it? The game industry would instantly **** their pants. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the big consoles goes with mobile processor and graphics technology for the next round, since the cost, heat, and graphics quality are so favorable. This stuff is evolving very quickly.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

What if the iPad 3 has a 1080p display? What if Apple includes a standard gamepad controller with it? The game industry would instantly **** their pants. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the big consoles goes with mobile processor and graphics technology for the next round, since the cost, heat, and graphics quality are so favorable. This stuff is evolving very quickly.

The iPad3 will not have a 47 inch screen. I really do not think that the mobile market will over take the console. People like to games on their big screen tv along with their home theater system. Also I do not think the pc will over take the console. As you and I have stated before the majority of people in the world are not to bright when it comes to computers. They do not like to worry if their game will be able to play or not because of the hardware that they know nothing about. How many people have come here wondering why leadwerks will not work on their brand new computer. All they have to do is buy a game (console) and it will work. I truthfully think that there will be a market for all.

You are proving that every year it is getting easier and easier to make games. So why not try to tap into that billion dollar industry.

What if the next next generation consoles ARE mobile? Make a good wireless controller for a tablet. Make a docking station that is cheap and have it hook up to TV's to redirect visuals AND charge the tablet. Now you have a mobile console and who wouldn't take that given similar visuals? Maybe we are taking the word "mobile" to literal when it comes to games. It can be stationary when we are playing games on it smile.png

It would meet the requirement of games "just working" because of the more locked down hardware specs. I mean once you meet the requirements I stated above (which are all doable technology today) what would make it much different than a console? The added benefit is when I leave my home I can take it with me to do "computer" things. So it's better than a console and better than a phone and better than PC. It's all 3 in one! I would LOVE that, and I just have to imagine it's the direction it'll go. Docking stations ftw!

I'm sure the technologies will merge and in a way that makes it easy for non technical people to continue to do what they want to do. So what if the game we play is no longer running on what we today technically describe as a 'console', it will be effectively the same technology just packaged in a different way.

I couldn't care less what I play on if it does the job and doesn't compromise the quality of the games I would like to play. The game industry is forever crapping its pants as Josh puts it ... it does that every time someone brings a new successful game out, that's what keeps the whole thing rolling and evolving. These are not little two bit companies and industries, they are in this to survive and many will continue to evolve and furnish whatever new evolving platforms and marketplaces throw at them and if they dont ... others will take their place.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

What if the next next generation consoles ARE mobile? Make a good wireless controller for a tablet. Make a docking station that is cheap and have it hook up to TV's to redirect visuals AND charge the tablet. Now you have a mobile console and who wouldn't take that given similar visuals? Maybe we are taking the word "mobile" to literal when it comes to games. It can be stationary when we are playing games on it smile.png

It would meet the requirement of games "just working" because of the more locked down hardware specs. I mean once you meet the requirements I stated above (which are all doable technology today) what would make it much different than a console? The added benefit is when I leave my home I can take it with me to do "computer" things. So it's better than a console and better than a phone and better than PC. It's all 3 in one! I would LOVE that, and I just have to imagine it's the direction it'll go. Docking stations ftw!

I like that idea, all that connects the “Mobile Gaming Platform” is the docking station so this way the hardware can be upgraded every 2 years. That’s part of the problem with current consoles the hardware can’t be upgraded. It could also have options for different controllers whether this mouse & keyboard, Xbox/PlayStation controller, or motion controller.

Also used game sales are way up. In a lower economy people do not like buying a expensive game that they can beat in a few hours.

While I don't necessarily agree with Josh's conclusions (I'd want to do significantly more research than just what has been posted here, as I'm sure Josh has done), this isn't any better. If anything you're helping prove his point.

It's a lot easier to justify $1 for a mobile game that you're likely to enjoy than $60 for a new Xbox 360 game that you'll beat quickly. Just as it's easier spending $10-$30 for a used game for the 360 than spending $60 for a new copy (VIP passes not withstanding).

There are three types of people in this world. People who make things happen. People who watch things happen. People who ask, "What happened?"

Let's make things happen.

While I don't necessarily agree with Josh's conclusions (I'd want to do significantly more research than just what has been posted here, as I'm sure Josh has done), this isn't any better. If anything you're helping prove his point.

It's a lot easier to justify $1 for a mobile game that you're likely to enjoy than $60 for a new Xbox 360 game that you'll beat quickly. Just as it's easier spending $10-$30 for a used game for the 360 than spending $60 for a new copy (VIP passes not withstanding).

Even with sales going down, studios are still making a lot of money. There is a huge difference between the amount of money that they are making and the amount of money that it costs to make a game. So sales have to drop a hell of a lot more for studios to get to the breaking point. There is a good many games out there (console) that make more money than blockbuster movies. And yet the majority of them(console games) cost less to make than independent movie.

The real problem with games being to expensive is there is a lot of **** games out there. Or maybe we are just played out. Over the years there have been a lot of games made. How many different types of games can there be? I don't know, maybe we are just becoming a little more jaded every time a game comes out.

Yep. I think it's a good idea. Why can't we just use the controllers that are already out there now. Bluetooth is bluetooth right? What is stopping us from trying to make some drivers for a logitec bluetooth controller for a smart phone or tablet?

• 2 years later...

This sounds great. Making your product available across all platforms. Steam release was amazing on it's own but expanding to consoles is very cool!

I'm hoping to get a demo of my project/game ready when the first level is complete just to show something off (most of the work over the last few months has been design of the level and storyline for the first level to fit with our main storyline and also modelling/texturing).

I'm really enjoying Leadwerks and I absolutely love the software and think it deserves all the success it can get. Hopefully in a couple years we will see the engine go mainstream. I'm hoping my project will bring some interest to the engine as I am trying to push LE3 to it's limits in regards to the game art and lighting etc.

Due to my project being a horror game (with an actual story, rather than collecting notes/pages :P) there is a lot of opportunities to use so many things in the engine we can take advantage of like the lighting different post effects and shaders etc to set the atmosphere :D