C# Framewerk

L B

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this as I started working on it. I hope it will give the same results as in C++/BMAX. Notice that these are the 2 popular languages, mostly because they have Framewerk in my opinion. Framewerk+C# will be a great improvement for .NET development in LE.

Is it worth writing a C# version or would you rather just have fw compiled into the DLL with commands exposed?

That would do and would be more efficient than managed code. (Also more efficient on my mental sanity).

Although people might complain about adding in their own effects, and access to variables might not be perfect (i.e., not enough gettings for the options in FW, only settings).

In any case, if it's short enough for you, it would be a great [perhaps temporary] solution.

You can have both. A DLL and customization: just keep the Framewerk DLL source code part of the SDK. The Framewerk DLL must be written in C++ then, so that everyone can customize and recompile it.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

You can have both. A DLL and customization: just keep the Framewerk DLL source code part of the SDK. The Framewerk DLL must be written in C++ then, so that everyone can customize and recompile it.

I agree with this fully. Either Josh or Mika, PM me when you're done with one of your DLLs.

Damn, now I noticed it will be then my job to create the DLL, if it should be done with C++ :)

I'll ask Josh if he agrees with the suggestion.

It would be a pretty small task to compile fw into the DLL and add a procedural interface. I think this would make sense for people using languages other than CPP and BMX. I don't think it is realistic that we would be able to maintain the same code in a dozen different languages. I don't mind adding it to the BMX DLL, and if anyone prefers to write their own implementation of fw, they don't need to use the DLL commands. Plus, you get automatic exposure of fw commands to Lua.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Plus, you get automatic exposure of fw commands to Lua.
That's one benefit you don't get when writing the DLL with C++. So there is no best solution, but we have to find a compromise which has the most (quantity-most and quality-most) important benefits.

If people would post examples what changes they need to do in Framewerk, those could be generalized and added to Framewerk. At least in the C++ version you could have callback functions and/or ifdefs which could plug-in any customization you'll ever need, and you can use always the original framewerk source code.

I have emailed Josh and he said he had too many things to do at the moment to do it.

Now the thing is, I'd do it, although I need some help on things, and people don't seem to know the answers:

http://leadwerks.com/werkspace/index.php?/topic/476-why-is-my-camera-not-clearing/

I'll just go copying and translating the whole framewerk code, then debug it. But that's long and hard, so it will take some time.

Lumooja, could you compile us a Framewerk with exposed commands?

Developing a game without even a skybox or distance fog is just not the same atmosphere. It's purely annoying. Plus, I will go on coding in C#, so it will eventually have to be done.

Josh, you are bombarded by feature requests, so it is totally understandable that you might just not do this until a very, very long time. This is why I'm going to try to do it on my own, unless you have a good reason to keep me from doing it.