Nightmare Prism

Angelwolf

Nightmare Prism
An entry for the Halloween 2017 Game Jam

nprismtitle2.jpg

Nightmare Prism is a shameless Quake clone. Since buying Leadwerks, I've wanted to make something in the style of the id Software titles of the 90's - a special time in gaming for me.

Much like the id Software titles - Nightmare Prism has a very basic story. Data-Dyne Technologies (HQ is in an old castle with advanced laboratories beneath) have researched and, to a degree of success, managed to build their own teleportation systems. Teleportation is finally possible, but powered through a Crystal Prism. The downside? The Crystal Prism has some kind of demonic force attached to it: Not only does the Prism give the teleport pads the unique power they need to operate, but it also provides a gateway for vile, blood thirsty creatures to cross from their world into ours.

All the scientists and researchers are dead, blah blah, you're the one marine left who can save the day!

Have fun!

Download is here:

Standalone (Itch.io)

Workshop (Not working correctly)

Video:

Pics:

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, burgelkat said:

Lua Error: [string "D:/games/Steam/steamapps/common/Leadwerks Game Launcher/Game/Scripts/GUI/Panel.lua"]:52: attempt to call method 'GetStyle' (a nil value)
Process complete.

i get this error after press lunch in the "LW Game Launcher"

That's odd. Are other games working for you in the Game Launcher?

Not sure why the launcher is bugging for you before it even tries to start the game

14 minutes ago, Angelwolf said:

That's odd. Are other games working for you in the Game Launcher?

Not sure why the launcher is bugging for you before it even tries to start the game

If I remember correctly, the GUI style is something I dropped right before the final release.  You might have old GUI scripts that were designed during the beta.  It should work if you just replace those with the current ones I think.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Doesn't seem to work for me either. It tries to start but then crashes to the desktop with error message:

Lua Error: [string "C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Leadwerks Game Launcher/Game/Scripts/GUI/Panel.lua"]:52: attempt to call method 'GetStyle' (a nil value)
Process complete.

What resolution is the game intended to be played in? Maybe if I preset my resolution prior to starting the game might help.

15 hours ago, Josh said:

If I remember correctly, the GUI style is something I dropped right before the final release.  You might have old GUI scripts that were designed during the beta.  It should work if you just replace those with the current ones I think.

For clarification, is this an issue with the launcher or my game? Ie, is this something I need to resolve or those using the launcher? 

Publishing the game standalone seems to work just fine. 

33 minutes ago, Angelwolf said:

For clarification, is this an issue with the launcher or my game? Ie, is this something I need to resolve or those using the launcher? 

Publishing the game standalone seems to work just fine. 

I think your game is using an old EXE that was a beta.  The problem is your GUI scripts should be replaced with the latest.  I bet you have not updated your project in a long time?

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

2 hours ago, Josh said:

I think your game is using an old EXE that was a beta.  The problem is your GUI scripts should be replaced with the latest.  I bet you have not updated your project in a long time?

I started it only a week or so ago but I have automatic updates turned off. I'll try updating tonight, hopefully it won't give too much work for me to update. 

Then I'm hoping you can all play! 

7 hours ago, Angelwolf said:

I started it only a week or so ago but I have automatic updates turned off. I'll try updating tonight, hopefully it won't give too much work for me to update. 

Then I'm hoping you can all play! 

Okay, so it turns out Leadwerks WAS already updated and my project IS up to date. What's causing this?

Josh, are there many scripts I need to update for this? Could I just copy over the GUI file (panel.lua) from the Leadwerks Launcher install over to my project, into the respective directory?

Update: Standalone is available for download here

Downloaded it twice to make sure, I think the zip file was corrupt, crashes or ends at the end of level 2. the first time I ran out of ammo and jumped past enemies to find more but the second time I cleared it like a champ. I like how were both making old id inspired projects :) I see you one-up'ed them by making a chaingun-shotgun, very nice! It plays well.

Thank you! Map03 doesn't exist yet so it'll crash out when you finish Map02. 

I'm working on Map03 though (next upload also has a couple of bug fixes, such as health packs and ammo packs giving the correct quantities, they're rather generous right now due to some bad code). After that, hopefully more maps. 

I should really include some kind of melee weapon or very weak gun with unlimited ammo at some point. 

Ah right......it was a close thing really.  I did kill all but 2, if I was at the end, ..a lift up?  Unfortunately the 2 fire imp creatures followed me into the lift....I was sort of playing around with them. They killed me in the lift.    Game-play wise....maybe better I lost like that than had an easy escape.