Question about Leadwerks v5 and Steam

Carm3D

Hello,

I purchased Leadwerks on Steam and from what I have seen about version 5 it looks very promising.  I wanted to know if v5 will be made available to Steam Leadwerks owners either with a free upgrade or a DLC upgrade.  A friend told me that v5 will not be on Steam and it is a fully separate thing.  If that is the case and I want to use Leadwerks v5, then buying the C++ Professional version DLC on Steam would be a waste of money because I would have to buy it again for the Non-Steam edition of Leadwerks v5.

Can someone who fully knows how v5 will be deployed clarify this issue for me?  Thank you!

The answer is I don't know.

Leadwerks 5 is still a long way away.  A subscription for the beta will be available on our site before Christmas, but it is lacking many features (C++ only, no new editor yet).

I am concerned about the future viability of the Steam platform and whether it will continue to make sense for us to even put future versions of Leadwerks on Steam.  Not making any decision right now, I just don't know how things will turn out with that.

And I have not thought at all about future upgrade pricing, etc.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Okay..  I will not get the C++ DLC then until there has been an announcement of how v5 will roll out.  If v5 doesn't make it to Steam I'd have to buy it twice to get v5 with C++.  I can focus on building assets & animations more than building code for now.  When you say it is a long way away, do you mean six months?

Just now, Carm3D said:

Okay..  I will not get the C++ DLC then until there has been an announcement of how v5 will roll out.  If v5 doesn't make it to Steam I'd have to buy it twice to get v5 with C++.  I can focus on building assets & animations more than building code for now.  When you say it is a long way away, do you mean six months?

Probably a year away for the final release.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I think going independent away from Steam is best of interest for this project...that way it can be streamlined, customized to garner faster growth especially if the project team starts offering their own virtual game currency (..maybe with acronym like Le$) that will allow subscribers to buy/invest into the game. That will allow more team members to join the project team..  as for Leadwerks 5 looks promissing especially with PBR being added... 

1 minute ago, Carm3D said:

It seems that Steam is the only place to buy it right now..  At least that's how it seems from this website.  That's kinda weird if you can only upgrade non-Steam versions.

Leadwerks is only sold on Steam at this time.