My latest work (scifi textures 2.0) - scifi materials

TWahl

Mining/hex floor test using the same material I made for the reactor wall, albeit with some small tweaks.

I generated this very quickly just by changing texture maps and color selections. Although it is becoming apparent that I need a second monitor just to manage all of my layers...

miningfloor_wip_test.thumb.png.021752f8d9cb5dc6c95f0dd79f6c8422.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Redux of a wall texture which I posted quite a while back. These pictures and those which I have been posting recently reflect what will essentially be the shipped product at this point. I will also be saleing each texture/material individually, which will include variant maps for paint and some small detail variants (as an example, the perforations on the large panel of the below texture can be removed for a flatter looking wall). Still need to decide if/how I would like to package substance painter files. I will likely be doing so to give more creative freedom but I need to make sure all of the assets are included and that the files can be transferable.

This is just one of the 57 total unique wall textures that I am currently working on at the moment:

wall_6_wip_1440p.thumb.png.615afd4b1601d5563b31869020f71787.png

wall_6_wip_1440p_2.thumb.png.e86ddbc5f5500da63426bcaec5077702.png

At this point I have yet to decide on a pricing scheme and will not be doing so until I get to the point of assessing everything once it is all done. A large majority will be paid, however some materials which are more simple will be free of charge or given away at a much smaller price. In addition, materials with lesser variants will be cheaper than ones with more detail or many unique sub-variants. Likewise I will also be pricing the entire collection at a fair discount in relation to purchasing each material individually. Again, once I get to the final stretch I will have more info to share regarding this.

I will also be writing up pdf files to include which detail how to use these materials in your games and how to edit them in substance (just one pdf file, not one for each texture).

Thanks again and I appreciate all of the support.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some extra WIP pictures that I forgot to post yesterday. In addition to my blog post I also added the ability to have more control of details that I would like on the paint layers. I added some cool subtle hexagonal patterns as well as the ability to add caution stripes with more precision. I can also turn each of these off with ease depending on the look that I will want in the final texture.

Not shown in these pictures are "sticker decals" (for warning labels and whatnot) but I have the ability to add these too, and they all interact with the underlying and overlying grease/oil/rust layers. They also have a small height and roughness value to give them good surface definition (while not sticking out).

Overall I am very pleased with the outcome and will proceed forward with the final, final product as soon as I can ge the non-square support retrofitted into the new project.

cubetest_render_5_11_2021.thumb.png.bf3f3f570299c3653b54e193420c6ba5.png

wall_4_5_11_2021.thumb.PNG.8e42d82c2f2eab814d2ef7eb09bdbc41.PNG

• Like 1

Oh man, I am drooling over those details. It makes me want to start modeling sci-fi architecture details in Max.

If features like what I am showing below are aligned to a power-of-two size it makes it very easy to use them in a variety of geometric details.

Untitled.thumb.png.b9976efcdc61fbf16b39ee28e364d77c.png

• Like 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Thanks Josh, I appreciate the comment regarding the detail - I took a lot of time making sure that the surfaces were as "realistic" as possible. I think what really makes it pop is the fact that I kept a style that is still somewhat grounded in reality and does not contain too much ambiguous materials. Back in my sophomore year of college I did an internship as a manufacturing engineer within a metal smelting plant in Michigan and I actually drew a lot of inspiration for my texture work from all of the dirty, old and sooty equipment I would see there. Some of it was over 75 years old. That was a while ago now but still fresh in my mind.

If features like what I am showing below are aligned to a power-of-two size it makes it very easy to use them in a variety of geometric details.

I have many trim textures that range from 256x2048 to 1024x2048, however not all of the details within them are constrained to powers of two. The width of different "strips" varies which will aid in any sort of modular asset creation. Plus you could put different trim textures together to build a single atlas and save texture memory if you really wanted.

Of course you could probably "squish" them a tad (within reason) and it would not even be noticable when in a game engine. I see this sort of thing a lot as well.

The reason I am saying that is, for example, I could easily add that texture to the side of a thin platform that was 32 units tall in the editor, press the aliign-to-bottom button, and it would fit perfectly across my surface. Of course your resolution is very high, so maybe that section of the texture is actually 256 pixels wide. It doesn't matter what power-of-two is used, but it does make it a lot easier to build interesting geometry from the textures without a lot of texture adjustment or squishing.

Untitled.png.73240e51a383e9ccadda737906746522.png

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I decided to post this screenshot after I finished a couple of the detail textures, in this case a chainlink mesh fence texture. Wanted to see what it would look like when light shines through it, ignore the low quality shadows:

render.thumb.png.a5f2e4cff6367a0758c04ee67eb09274.png

You can use displacement mapping on the texture to give it a bit of depth, however the effect looks odd at some angles. For stuff like this I'd probably just model a wavy plane with diagonal folds and apply the texture to it.

I have the substance file set to add different paint colors to the chainlink as well, if you want it to be yellow or whatever.

Capture.thumb.PNG.525af70a8728c62c761f3d2434011fe6.PNG

chainlink_rusty.thumb.png.fc341ebba83232ac6c5e5a11efc4065b.png

Many other textures like this, including expanded metal or slotted grates. Some more conventional, with a few being more specific (I have a gothic looking grate in there, for example):

Capturegothic.thumb.PNG.0cb49a3de00374d3af9c2f1c3008b8f2.PNG

I still have quite a lot of work to do and I have only really just begun this step of the process. Can't say how long this will all take but I am hoping not more than 3 or 4 months, depending on how much time or energy I have available. It is hard for me to really give an exact figure. I really do however hope to get at least very close to completing everything by the end of the year, product pictures and all.

Some of the textures will be quite quick to do (as is the case above), others require more work if they have more details. Past week or two has been mostly spent on just cleaning up all of my project folders and their structure, creating or re-doing some missing ID map masks, and getting my project tracking spreadsheet ready for the new files I will be creating. It might not seem like it but getting everything neat and organized when you are dealing with so many texture files and highpoly meshes is a huge chore. I have to manually move all these files by hand a lot of the time.

Anyways, I plan to keep updating as always.

• Like 4

This material looks like a very different style. It's very interesting, I could see it fitting into some castle brickwork and wood, but it also has a high-tech feel to it.

• 3 weeks later...