Hi there,

I have been able to add water into my work using a downloaded water material from the workshop, which also comes with a CheapWater.lua script.

It works fine but, oddly enough, looks "cheap".

My question is, is there something else out there looks somewhat nicer or more realistic? I havent been able to find anything.

Not to mention, I can walk across it and not actually go under/into the water...

Thanks

I had exactly the same questions as you some weeks ago, and also tryed cheapwater.

I ended up trying to fix an old LE3 widget from Shadmar, my result is here http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/14778-why-do-i-get-red-water/ but it is still experimental, I'm no shader guru.

But I would prefer and official solution for animated water, because this plugin does not have water physics.

I'm 100% sure Josh can do it, he did it in the past but was not satisfyed by the result. He should not be so perfectionist, 90% of people were happy with the solution he had, many event buyed LE2 because they saw the beach fps demo . Current "flat" mirror waterplane is indeed not realistic at all, water is never flat like a mirror in a game (even if it can be in reality without wind) people just expect it to look "living" and have waves and ripples .

For the newbies this is how it looked like

in 2009 !!! and why I say he can do it.

Also I feel really scared of doing things wrong when I mod shaders, I would really like the engine to do this job.

• Upvote 1

Windows 7 home - 32 bits

Intel Quad Q6600 - nVidia GTX 460 1GB - 2 GB RAM

you either have to do multiple render passes or use a post-processing effect to get true transparency for water.

Exactly I find this water more transparent and less reflective (no mirror effect) than the current provided one. But I believe he is not using post-processing and no multiple renders.

You are right the principle is the same, but the settings are different and current waterplane has not enough properties exposed to configure it to look like this (and I get lost tweaking the shader directly).

Windows 7 home - 32 bits

Intel Quad Q6600 - nVidia GTX 460 1GB - 2 GB RAM

He may be using forward rendering for that part. This is actually the proper way to do transparency (or depth peeling), but it can get expensive, which is why the shaders for transparency take some shortcuts that wouldn't work well with water. I think a post-processing effect might be the best bet though.

I was after water for a small, indoor area. Not an ocean type scenario.

That YouTube video was mad, water looks great!

Not the best on using post-processing effects yet, if anyone wants to fill me in?

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated!