Connecting a few computers via the net

Spacecookie

Hi everyone, so I'm committed to learning Leadwerks and producing at least one game via it. So I find myself here. I've been recommended to contact one of you for help, via skype lessons but that's kindof beside the point of this post.

So I'm new to this whole thing, and I've been spending my time planning, and learning over the past couple of weeks. One of the things I've found myself needing as part of the first project is the ability to connect from one computer to another, but not local Lan. Is the method I'm thinking of called peer to peer?

My program that I'm planning is kindof like having a pen and paper roleplaying game, where one person runs the rules, with all the monsters, combat etc as part of the system that he/she would run, then the other people are the players who would be in different locations and be able to connect to the host PC, so that they could see maps, counters and access their character sheets and such, all on the person who's running the game's computer over the net.

What would I need to look at to learn how to include something like that please? I'm assuming it's something I'd have to program and isn't included as is in Leadwerks?

• Upvote 1

I do lessons over skype so it might have been me someone told you to contact. I've also worked with networking libraries so I can help with that as well in a training session if you're interested. Networking is a fairly complex topic but I use RakNet for my networking library. I find it to be easy to use and very robust.

https://github.com/OculusVR/RakNet

LE doesn't have anything built in for networking at this time so you have to use some external libraries which generally means getting into C++ (not sure if you know C++ or not).

You don't mention if you are a programmer. Sounds a bit ambitious if you are not.... for a first project I mean.

Nothing wrong with overly ambitions projects as long as the person has the drive to continue to work on them. Anything is possible given enough time. Except for maybe time travel.

Thank you for taking the time to reply everyone. I see how it's probably a step too far for me then. I didn't know the difficulty of this part at all.

I have some small programming knowledge but nothing modern.

I think I'm going to have to put this project on hold and see if I can't work on something simpler for now to be quite realistic.

It was Rick who I was instructed might be able to help me with Skype lessons, yes smile.png I would be interested but I'm looking at graphics/animation and planning at the moment, to evaluate what I can devote to the project overall, balancing it with other stuff in my life..

• Upvote 1