Engine without Steam

RoyMD

Hello,

i found the Steam Client is a pain, my Idea is simple: You can offer a Steam Free Version (AddOn) for peoples they like your Engine and will have a Steam free Version.

My english is poor, sorry I'm from Germany.

Best Regards,

RoyMD.

You may say I'm a dreamer. But I'm not the only one. I hope some day you'll join us. And the world will be as one. (John Lennon, Imagine)

I think Cassius is saying the trend is away from what you are asking for so it's unlikely. All the updating Josh does to the engine it's just easier I'm sure for him to use Steam to do that. Put on top of that the idea that when Josh moved to Steam he got so many more users I wouldn't hold your breathe on this. Basically, "everyone" uses Steam so not much reason to change.

It's possible but up to authors of the engine. I assume current Steam integration is only to provide DRM solution. Software published via Steam can be nor is enforced by Steam to be completely not integrated with Steam API. As in games this makes very little sense to do it due to lost of features like steam controller, achievements, etc. I hardly believe that LE users are after those 3 achievements.

You can even have both of both worlds, if needed a config can be setup to bypass Steam initialization to make LE standalone, but again i think authors of LE like the DRM that Steam provides.

Opinion is my alone so don't quote me on that as LE official statement but what I wrote about the options is 100%, I have published on Steam already.

Basically, I'd have to charge $5,000 to make a standalone worth the time. You're probably the third person in two years to complain about this, out of 10,000 people. However, Leadwerks can be run with Steam in offline mode.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I only sometimes wish this when my internet goes out for a long time. No internet these days means you can't use half your PC as most software uses the internet for online DRM or something else. And Steam has a limit on how much you can sign in offline before it wants a connection again. That's just how things are today for the most part.

Regardless of that note, Leadwerks is much better off with Steam as it takes full advantages of Steamworks. It uses Steam more of an experience than just a DRM client.

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

• 3 weeks later...