More polls to see what LE users want, and align it to LE roadmap

damvcoool

This is more or less a public message for Josh.

So I was Wondering if Josh could do a round of Polls after every mayor release (3.4, 3.5, 3.6...) with features he plans to implement in the future, and give us the opportunity to pitch in on what we (the users of LE) want to see.

this should not be taken as democracy, more of an alignment of interests of what Josh wants to implement and what users want to see.

My 2 cents wink.png

• Upvote 2

I think things are fine as they are though the vegetation development is perhaps too heavily on the backburner.

I posted a poll back in August which has almost 80 votes. I don't know if it had anything to do with it but Josh ended up releasing water a few months later (only one plane, only infinite and no ocean but it's a good start) as well as several other requests on that list.

I really liked your poll gamecreator, and it seemed to influence a lot of development. I also understand damvcoool's suggestion though because it adds more urgency for some features. I think more user input with each release would help as well. The reason being is that when designing a game, there are sometimes features you might need, and some sort of timeline would be good.

Right now I honestly don't know what will happen next with the engine. I understand why Josh is hesitant to reveal features, but it also makes it difficult to plan accordingly. If Josh set up a poll, we would at least get a sense of his general direction better. Then, he could also gauge the community's interest more. Right now, I'm not sure I can continue at least one of my LE projects because of limitations I've hit and there being too much ambivalence with possible future features. Yes, it's my fault for not figuring out the design more carefully, but sometimes designs change a little, and you end up hitting walls.

For example, what happened to networking, roads, MacOS support, etc.? For all I know, they could be rolled out next week, in a few years, or possibly never.

• Upvote 1

Nick, not sure if you've seen this blog:

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/blog/1/entry-1471-whats-next/

It pretty specifically plans out what Josh has in mind. It also happens to be one of the most "liked" posts from Josh in recent history.

And remember that Josh can only bend to the will of the community so much. Obviously he needs to keep in mind how his customers are using his product but he also needs to develop the engine how he sees best and so he can't just keep implementing features at everyone's whim.

Right now, I'm not sure I can continue at least one of my LE projects because of limitations I've hit and there being too much ambivalence with possible future features.

Josh has said that he favors gameplay above all else and he's been said to work with active developers so if you have major problems blocking production of your game, I'd make a single list with emphasis on the top 1 or 2 critical problems at the top so that it helps him focus on those, if he can help (and don't forget to include a test map or project so that he can easily reproduce the problem, if necessary).

For example, what happened to networking, roads, MacOS support, etc.? For all I know, they could be rolled out next week, in a few years, or possibly never.

Roads was in LE 3.2 , Josh has the code to adapat it to LE3, but it's not priority and vegetation i think is lot more important feature indeed. For network many people using C++ implemented a C++ library, you could do it or wait for some LE3 store and perhaps some people will sell a solution.

he can't just keep implementing features at everyone's whim.

Even Unreal guys can't bring all features that any people are asking each time after each release, it's just not possible laugh.png

Critical features :

- Integrated UI system

- Character custom collisions shapes

- Physic ragdoll

Would be great :

- Some GI system (static or dynamic) to avoid full black shadows looking really bad for interiors specially (Godot,Panda and Cube 2 engines already have that)

- Plugins system for the editor

Additionnal wishes but not essential :

- Better up to date physic engine with more features (ball joints center can't be moved for example in LE3)

LE3 goal is to stay lightweight and easy to learn and use, even for beginners and new comers.

And actual priority is docs , gameplay templates and LE3 store, i think these are lot more important features for the long term and needed before bringing new engine features.

this should not be taken as democracy, more of an alignment of interests of what Josh wants to implement and what users want to see.

We will ask Gamecreator to make a new poll after all next releases has been done wink.png

Stop toying and make games