SSDO filter

Josh

Was just playing Crysis Warhead for the first time in months in order to test out the driver update that I just downloaded. I noticed something about the SSAO effect. I'm not sure if it's the new Nvidia SSAO or maybe I just didn't notice it before.

But it seems to me that instead of using grain they are using just a couple of layers of a black textured polygon and then stretching it out to align with the perspective of the camera and then adjusting the opacity of the polygon in order to make the black get deeper or lighter depending on what's appropriate. I don't remember it looking exactly like that before because I remembered it being fuzzier. It could be the driver update but I'm not sure.

The reason I say that is because the effect seems a bit more 3d than the one in Leadwerks. It almost seems like there is a cloudy substance in the occluded area that you can reach out and touch. But then you walk closer and it recedes back into itself. While Leadwerks' SSDO seems to have a less active quality to it.

Just pointless observation I guess.

Core I5 2.67 / 16GB RAM / GTX 670

Zbrush/ Blender / Photoshop CS6 / Renoise / Genetica / Leadwerks 3

i just downloaded the blender SSAO and I have to say it is extremely impressive just random comment ^^

SSDO is great too but the blender one has some nice features it only shows up in dark areas, in light areas it doesn't. And it's very smooth looking, not grainy, though sometimes grainy is good too

link if any one wants to see http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=184102

Core I5 2.67 / 16GB RAM / GTX 670

Zbrush/ Blender / Photoshop CS6 / Renoise / Genetica / Leadwerks 3

• 2 weeks later...

I checked SSDO instead of SSAO. I have to say for 2side polygons, SSDO will dark flipped faces alot.

SSDO Off:

SSDO%20Off.jpg

SSDO On:

SSDO%20On.jpg

SSDO vs SSAO:

SSDO: Very dark:

SSDO.jpg

SSAO: Almost nothing!:

SSAO.jpg

So... is there any way to quick fix this issue in SSDO shader?

I downloaded Blender SSAO but my scene will blink and I have no Ideas why?! (I don't know if I can use it directely or not I just replaced it with current SSAO)

did someone got it work?

Omid Saadat

OD Arts Blog

AMD Phenom II X4 940 - Geforce 8800GTS - 4GB RAM - XP x86

AMD 6000+ - Geforce 9800 GT - 2GB RAM - XP x86 (Home pc)

Intel Core i7 - Geforce 310M - 4GB Ram - Win7 x64 (Laptop)

Your tree has very flat planes so I guess there is nothing to occlude.

If you ad more geometry the tree will look better.

I used SSDO and SSAO both on my vegetation and the material setup is the same I guess.

So it could be your lack of geometry detail.

Pure3d Visualizations Germany - digital essences

AAA 3D Model Shop specialized on nature and environments

If you are really using a material with backface culling disabled (cullface=0) then the normal will point away from the camera sometimes, and the ray will think the surface is occluding itself. It will also cause lighting errors. Don't disable backface culling. Instead use real triangles facing both directions in the mesh geometry.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Your tree has very flat planes so I guess there is nothing to occlude. If you ad more geometry the tree will look better. I used SSDO and SSAO both on my vegetation and the material setup is the same I guess. So it could be your lack of geometry detail.

yep.. you're right about less geometry. but where in screenshot I grabbed, is collision between 2 planes.

btw my previous try with more geometries was really terrible! half of them were black and they were crossed each other(my bad placement!)

the best way I found is to use particles in 3ds max to put leaves on tree.. and I'm still noob in that.. :(

If you are really using a material with backface culling disabled (cullface=0) then the normal will point away from the camera sometimes, and the ray will think the surface is occluding itself. It will also cause lighting errors. Don't disable backface culling. Instead use real triangles facing both directions in the mesh geometry.

do you mean I should use 2 surfaces in opposite directions for each plane? however I think that's not a good way to handle this, I tried this way this morning and unfortunately I have to say that results was not good at all!(and I'm wonder why that didn't cause z-fighting into editor?! :) )

why SSAO didn't had problems with that? is that actually does same thing with very low strength?

Omid Saadat

OD Arts Blog

AMD Phenom II X4 940 - Geforce 8800GTS - 4GB RAM - XP x86

AMD 6000+ - Geforce 9800 GT - 2GB RAM - XP x86 (Home pc)

Intel Core i7 - Geforce 310M - 4GB Ram - Win7 x64 (Laptop)

do you mean I should use 2 surfaces in opposite directions for each plane? however I think that's not a good way to handle this, I tried this way this morning and unfortunately I have to say that results was not good at all!(and I'm wonder why that didn't cause z-fighting into editor?! :) )

why SSAO didn't had problems with that? is that actually does same thing with very low strength?

That's how Michael makes all his plants and trees. Turn backface culling back on by setting cullface=1 in the material file.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Well, you should use two triangles facing each direction, unless it is a primitive that faces mostly upwards and you want backlighting through the surface.

Actually as I remember Michael makes his plants the way Omid mentioned. One triangle for both sides.

Josh almost all plants that Ive ever seen uses only one triangle for both leaf sides. Otherwise poly count will be very huge.(in 3 times bigger)

Q6600@2.4GHz - 9600GT - 4GB DDR2@800MHz - Windows7 x64

3ds max / photoshop CS3 / C++

http://www.arbuznikov.com