Ogg and other file format support?

ChrisV

I found this lib yesterday and it worked out-of-the-box for ogg in LUA. It does not use luajit and uses the zlib license. So far I just tested background music. A 20 meg .wav converted to a 1.9meg ogg. Extremely easy to use wink.png

http://viremo.eludi.net/proteaAudio/index.html

• Upvote 3

---

Scott

Using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit/Core I7-2700K @ 4312mhz/24G RAM/Nvidia GTX 1060

Great dig jazz, I find this proteaAudio API slightly more flexible than the OpenAL. Hopefully it does not require installation like the AL. I will have a look later. Thanks.

Intel Core i7 Quad 2.3 Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Windows 10 (x64)

Yesterday during the Leadwerks hangout Josh said its not a priority. "who has that much music to benefit from compression" were his words. Unfortunately.

Wow, this is laughable.

So remove the model system since "who has that much models to benefit"

A game is a complex mashup of multimedia content, music is a importante tool to drive player experiences.

Wow, this is laughable.

So remove the model system since "who has that much models to benefit"

A game is a complex mashup of multimedia content, music is a importante tool to drive player experiences.

Its his decision. Unfortunately audio has always been an afterthought in any game engine. But luckily we have other means of loading OGG resources.

• Upvote 1

Keep in mind that Josh does often say "x wont happen" only to implement "x" a short time later.

He would be better off saying something along the lines of "x is not planned, however thank you for making the effort in providing this feedback, I will place x in the ideas bucket for consideration"

Bluntly rejecting community feedback will only lead to getting his financial supporters off-side and scare away potential buyers.

Embracing feedback and maintaining control of a project are not mutually exclusive, just requires some finesse.

Anyway, for better or worse, it is up to him how he runs things. I hope this feedback is received in the spirit it was intended.

• Upvote 2

Keep in mind that Josh does often say "x wont happen" only to implement "x" a short time later.

He would be better off saying something along the lines of "x is not planned, however thank you for making the effort in providing this feedback, I will place x in the ideas bucket for consideration"

Bluntly rejecting community feedback will only lead to getting his financial supporters off-side and scare away potential buyers.

Embracing feedback and maintaining control of a project are not mutually exclusive, just requires some finesse.

Someone pointed you to Ogg and Lua, why are you not trying to use it instead ?

I wanted some other full screen shader effects, i just took a look at some shader code, and tried to port it to LE3 and it worked at some point.

So stop complaining, be some more active than waiting for things to come sleep.png , and save your time to start your game instead.

• Upvote 1

Stop toying and make games

Someone pointed you to Ogg and Lua, why are you not trying to use it instead ?

I wanted some other full screen shader effects, i just took a look at some shader code, and tried to port it to LE3 and it worked at some point.

So stop complaining, be some more active than waiting for things to come sleep.png , and save your time to start your game instead.

People purchased this, and is our right to ask for something that is very very basic for any 3D Engine and even 2D engines. Don't derail the thread please.

@Topic

FMOD support should be even better. And is very common in game engines.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

If you had C++, you could always code it yourself.

OpenALSoundDriver.h extends SoundDriver.

OpenALSoundDriver has all the OpenAL information needed to be able to create, write buffers.

Create a Source. Get the SoundDriver from the source. Cast as OpenALSoundDriver (No other should exists in LE, so it should be safe).

Load File,

Play buffers,

Cleanup

Profit??

If you had C++, you could always code it yourself.

We are not asking how to do it.

If anybody had C++ , anybody could bring Physix or Bullet in LE3 right laugh.png

It is for Lua edition only users and it's just a suggestion only. this feature would save lot of disk space.

I got sounds but not in Wav format and i don't think you'll find lot of sounds packs in Wav format also ?

I got sounds but not in Wav format and i don't think you'll find lot of sounds packs in Wav format also ?

Trust me all professional sound effect libraries ship in uncompressed fashion, most commonly .WAV. Sane people will not release any packs for sale in lossy compressed formats unless it is a free pack made by enthusiasts.

As for OGG yes, we need it. However since Josh already stated its not his priority (at least for 2015), the easiest option for LUA users is just to wrap a library that can play back OGG files into a LUA compatible dll.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

It is like texture compression without it the game is becoming too big huh.png

Example sounds i have is 10 Mo in Wav , and it turns to 1Mo in Ogg for example.

Anyone made Ogg support in LE3 using a free lib and C++ already ?

(It would be great to have that as some addon in the workshop)

(It would be great to have that as some addon in the workshop)

Would be even greater to have it as a standard in LE. Having to rely on addons for such 'standard' features isn't a good idea, imo.

• Upvote 1

ZBrush 4R7 64-bit - 3DCoat 4.5 BETA 12 - Fl Studio 12 64Bit - LE 3.2 Indie version - Truespace 7 - Blender 2.71 - iClone 5.51 Pro - iClone 3DXChange 5.51 pipeline - Kontakt 5 - Bryce 7 - UU3D Pro - Substance Designer/Painter - Shadermap 3 - PaintShop Photo Pro X7 - Hexagon - Audacity - Gimp 2.8 - Vue 2015 - Reaktor 5 - Guitar Rig 5 - Bitmap2Material 3

This needs to be built in. We are not asking for anything extraordinary. Besides Josh has already posted a sample code, so I don't see a reason why that could not be implemented natively. This has a very simple logic, if he adds oggs then the games on the Game player will become smaller and in turn download faster. This might lead to a greater fan base. Simple business.

• Upvote 2

This needs to be built in. We are not asking for anything extraordinary.

I totally agree. Furthermore, we don't want the same as in Unity where you need to rely on addons for 'standard' features.

• Upvote 1

ZBrush 4R7 64-bit - 3DCoat 4.5 BETA 12 - Fl Studio 12 64Bit - LE 3.2 Indie version - Truespace 7 - Blender 2.71 - iClone 5.51 Pro - iClone 3DXChange 5.51 pipeline - Kontakt 5 - Bryce 7 - UU3D Pro - Substance Designer/Painter - Shadermap 3 - PaintShop Photo Pro X7 - Hexagon - Audacity - Gimp 2.8 - Vue 2015 - Reaktor 5 - Guitar Rig 5 - Bitmap2Material 3

I see this as a must have in the near future. Looking back on this topic, it started back around the 3.2/3.3 days, and obviously there was "bigger fish to fry" back then. But now with things like the Game Launcher and as it gets more popular/a way of sharing creations made on Leadwerks, I think ogg support will help keep those zip files small if the author want's to use a full music track. Again, not everyone has high speed internet, so low file sizes are always welcomed.

I was working on getting ogg support/FMOD as a part of LEX, but I was having issues if installing the libraries, and the issue of the sound actually existing in my world, and not the console application. If anyone has information about that, please let me know, but I still think ogg should eventually be apart of the engine, now especially with the Game Launcher.

• Upvote 3

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

• 3 months later...