Number of Unique Textures

nick.ace

Is Leadwerks designed to handle a lot of unique textures without significant performance drop? I'm just curious because I trying to decide on whether or not to use a bunch of unique textures in my game to a lot add variety.

Also, how many unique textures are you using if you are working on a game? I'd be interested to know!

Thanks,

nick.ace

It's limited by the amount of video memory you have. When using DXTC1 compression, this allows a lot of unique textures.

There's also an experimental texture management feature that pages texture data in and out of video memory. This can be used for very large maps with a lot of textures in different areas.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

If I set the view distance of a model in the editor and the model goes out of range, the texture is still in memory right? Is it good practice to release the texture (and possibly the model) from memory at a certain distance (if it goes out of range)?