fstream C2065

Vulcan

I have encountered problem when trying to include fstream into one of my header classes. Visual Studio 2013 express gives my immediately this error:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\VC\include\fstream(39): error C2065: 'EOF' : undeclared identifier

At first I thought it might be a bug with VS but then I found FileSystem::ReadFile as method of reading the file. But still if for reason <input here> that I would like to use fstream, how would I do that?

Do I need to rewrite every files in my project that use fstream? Not that's a problem just curious.

Still not sure if this is a bug or intended.

The quick answer--you can add this to the appropriate .h file before including fstream:

const char EOF = -1;

EOF is defined (IIRC) in stdio.h as -1, but if you're not including that then you can define it yourself...

--"There is no spoon"

The problem is that in the files Stream.h and BankStream.h (from Leadwerks), EOF is explicitly undefined via

#undef EOF

because they have a method using this name.

Including fstream before leadwerks fixes the problem, since the compiler first has EOF defined, when he reaches fstream and then, when going through the Leadwerks-Includes, it can be undefined. Also because EOF is a compiler-variable, I would prefer this method to the one Michael_J proposed.

If you want to use EOF in your own code you will have to define it yourself, though (so you could just do both).

• Upvote 1

The problem is that in the files Stream.h and BankStream.h (from Leadwerks), EOF is explicitly undefined via

#undef EOF

because they have a method using this name.

Including fstream before leadwerks fixes the problem, since the compiler first has EOF defined, when he reaches fstream and then, when going through the Leadwerks-Includes, it can be undefined. Also because EOF is a compiler-variable, I would prefer this method to the one Michael_J proposed.

If you want to use EOF in your own code you will have to define it yourself, though (so you could just do both).

That clears things up a bit--never actually had time to investigate WHY EOF wasn't defined. Good to know...

--"There is no spoon"

• 7 years later...

This is Microsoft's fault. It's a bad idea to use macros to define variables because they do not allow for a namespace, which causes conflicts with other code. Enums are the best for this because they can be used with switch statements and can be compartmentalized in a namespace.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

It looks like in stdio.h EOF is defined as follows:

#define EOF    (-1)

It looks like it is just a constant value -1. If so, you can just take that definition and place it directly before you include fstream.h. Keep in mind this value could be different on some systems.

#ifdef _WIN32
	#define EOF    (-1)
#endif
#include <fstream.h>
#undef EOF

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.