x/dbo --> fbx converter

ddabrahim

Hi. I would like to suggest to ship an x/dbo to fbx converter with Leadwerks out of the box. This way, Leadwerks users could easily import FPS Creator models to use them in Leadwerks. TGC has released tons of 3D models to use with FPS Creator and more and better quality is coming with Reloaded . I think an officially supported converter can be useful. We can already easily convert FPSC models to use them in Leadwerks 3 by using Ultimate Unwrap 3D but it cost money, and also no guarantee it going to be developed and going to convert FPSC models to fbx with no glitches forever. So, I think an officially supported and maintained converter/importer could benefit Leadwerks and it users.

TGC has released tons of 3D models to use with FPS Creator and more and better quality is coming with Reloaded

Are these models intented to use with FPS Creator only, or any 3D engine ?

Are there enought many models packs to justify to put time makeing a converter ? (just a question as i don't know what models exist for FPS Creator Reloaded)

Stop toying and make games

As far as I now, once you have purchased the model packs, you are allowed to use them with any engine you wish. They made the models with FPS Creator In mind (ready to use In FPS Creator), but in terms of licensing, you are not restricted to use them only with FPS Creator.

There are 76 model packs available. Thousands of animated models I guess. Not very good quality models, especially the older ones, but the price also cheap and can be useful for isometric games, though the weapons and newer models looks good imo. But as I mentioned, even more models and better quality models are coming as the new version of FPS Creator (Reloaded) is under development with AAA quality in mind. Some Reloaded models available in alpha version looks already promising and looks even better in Leadwerks as I have imported some of them smile.png

If you read some of the fpsc readme's and license's for some of the model packs and some of the licenses for tools like treemagic it states that you can not convert them from their original format to another. Other tools such as Character Shop state that you can use them in any game, but you can't use the animations on a model that you intend to distribute.

Of course its up.to you to find the licenses and interpret them yourself, and decide whether you are going to follow it.

Source:I own almost every single TGC product.

If you read some of the fpsc readme's and license's for some of the model packs and some of the licenses for tools like treemagic it states that you can not convert them from their original format to another. Other tools such as Character Shop state that you can use them in any game, but you can't use the animations on a model that you intend to distribute.

Of course its up.to you to find the licenses and interpret them yourself, and decide whether you are going to follow it.

Source:I own almost every single TGC product

p.s. The program fragmotion has the ability to convert dbo/x/b3d files to .x and.vice versa. It's has a batch convert option in the menu. The result may not be exactly what you want, but it's damn close.

For all the model packs I own, I can read this in included readme file or on the official store page of the pack:

Once purchased the media has been packaged in such a way to enable you to enjoy the content immediately within FPS Creator. This pack can also be used with other applications, however users of other applications or development languages will need to extract and convert the files for use themselves

This pack can also be used with other applications Once purchased the media has been packaged in such a way to enable you to enjoy the content immediately. If you are an FPS Creator user you can download the content and install it into the media library. An alternative installer is available to those who want to use the media outside of FPS Creator.

I think in case of model packs, licensing and converting to other format is not a problem, TGC want to sell as many as possible. I think only the included models that comes with FPS Creator is the ones you are not allowed to use them in other engines or convert them to other formats.

Unwrap3D .X importer and .FBX exporter works pretty good with FPSC models and Leadwerks at the moment, but it can change any time and also cost money, this is the reason I suggest official converter included and maintained with Leadwerks.